Huntsman 4020 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JZIV

Jul 8, 2019
Connecticut
The house my wife and I bought 2 years ago has a huntsman 4020 model stove.
Its the double door version of the 241.
The stove is in the basement of the house and in a dual flue chimney. one side for the woodstove the other flue for the furnace.
The stove pipe damper is like one you see on a regular oil furnace.
the company that cleaned my chimney said to not touch it and leave it alone, but I am having a hard time even getting the stove to
sit at a consistent temperature for more than an hour. I use seasoned firewood but still no matter what its either just at the edge of the flue pipe
thermometers black "cool" to white burn or it goes to the other end and sits at around 1/8 or a little more into the red "Overburn" on the flue pipe thermometer.
the house is around 1980 square foot cape.
Any tips, suggestions, or hints?
I can get the stove going hot but getting it to stay burning in the ideal zone if I keep it in anything but the upper white part of the zone it really does not help heat and goes through wood about every 3-4 hours.
Is this normal?

This is my 3rd year with the wood stove and we love having it just trying to find a way to get it to run steady and help heat the house, and not have to baby sit or refeed it ever 2 hours.

Thank you for your time,

Joe Z

Are you referring to it having a barometric damper with a flap that opens and closes like on an oil burner?

If you close the air intakes, see if it goes down to a glow with no flames or goes out. This is testing door gasket or door sealing to make sure it is "air tight" first.

Where do you have the pipe thermometer located?