Huskee 22 ton Repairability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIJEEP

Oct 18, 2009
Lil' Rhody
Hello, been reading opinions on splitters for a few days. Whichever I buy I sure would like it to last, forever. I am a homeowner who will be splitting for my self, my family, and friends for cash / wood barter. 8 cord a year i guess would be a safe estimate.

What is the repairability of the Huskee / Speeco Brand like, i.e. piston seals, hoses, etc?

Any splitter input is welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

change engine oil, change hydr filter every year, run the fluid for 10 years if there is no water in it.
watch the suction and return hoses, or change to good ones if they are the clear vinyl junk.
everything is generic, either replaceable or able to cut it off and weld in new steel.
But if taken care of, it will outlast you. as hydraulic goes, that is about as simple as it gets.

I agree. An hydraulic log splitter is not a complicated machine. Parts that can't be welded can replaced fairly easily from generally available parts.

Ah, OK, So if I understand correctly. Regardless of the make; MTD, Huskee, Yard Machines, etc. The Power head (which is not my concern for repair) , pump, hoses, pistons, can be repaired quite readily w/o some insane parts search!

Thanks guys, Im new to hydraulics.

Nate

Pump, hoses, control valve, and cylinder can all be replaced with non-OEM parts. In fact, these often can be replaced with better parts than the originals!

Take care of anything and it will last. I wouldn't worry too much about the hydraulic components failing. The common things are valve spool o-ring leaks and hose failures and neither one of those is a hassle parts wise. The things I would anticipate failing first on the Huskee? Engine, as it is the same 6.75HP OHV Briggs used on many walk-behind lawnmowers. It's not designed to last a lifetime (I would expect 10+ years out of it tho) but replacing it will be relatively inexpensive. I have heard of the coupler between engine and pump failing but that's an easy fix too as replacements are easy to come by and not expensive.

Name-brand cylinders can usually be rebuilt but it takes some special know-how/tools depending on the way it's built. The ones held together with 4 rods are easy to do yourself at home without any special tools but some 4" + cylinders with threaded gland nuts (The seal around the cylinder rod) can be a mother to get apart unless you have a cylinder bench. A heavy equipment shop might be willing to loosen it up for you at a nominal fee.

MTD parts can be had just about anywhere. They cover MTD, Yard-Machines, Cub-Cadet, Troy-Bilt and a few other brand names. Their pricing can get a bit wacky so look into buying whole assemblies or non-OEM if something seems expensive.

SpeeCo/Huskee parts aren't bad either. Usually easiest to find online or at TSC stores.

Northern Tool is a great source for hydraulic components such as cylinders, whole valve assemblies, pumps, wedges, engines, etc. but not individual pieces or rebuild/seal kits.

Hydraulic hoses can be repaired at many auto parts stores or heavy equipment shops. I'll warn you now, they aren't cheap.

Hydraulic filters can be cross referenced at the local auto parts store usually.

Wheel bearings, Wheel/Tire assy's, and hitch components are usually off the shelf components that you can pick up at Wal-Mart, TSC, auto parts stores,or better hardware stores.

mine is pushing 400 cords. had to replace recoil starter $5 and hydro return line about $8.

Not a big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.