Husky 4.5# Splitting Axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitocondriac

Sep 18, 2015
Texas
Brand new to actually splitting my own wood, we used to just buy it and burn every now and then. We just bought a house and had a chimeny guy come check and make sure the wood stove is good and safe to burn in, he tells me this thing will have us sweating it out in January so I figure I am going to put this thing to work. Any how a friend was clearing land and I went out and got a cord of oak from him and split it with his hydraulic splitter and then thought well I need more wood then this (I think I might have an addiction already). Ok so now I found a good pick trucks load of oak just waiting for the city to come chip it up and load up and bring it home. Headed out to the local store here and they had a Husky brand 4.5# splitting axe so I picked it up for $30.

Question been looking online and can not seem to find any reviews and searched the site with no reviews. What do you experienced folks think about Husky? I have used their other products for quite some time as they have a lifetime warranty on hand tools.

What say you?

That axe head looks like a clone of similar weight splitting axes available at many different hardware stores. My guess is that Home Depot orders them with a slightly different handle and with their house brand "Husky" on it. I don't use one, so I can't give you a good review.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...-with-34-in-Fiberglass-Handle-34209/204168127

Some know it as the Truper spliting axe or maul.

Last edited:
I have the Lowes version, and absolutely love it, do not use the axe as a wedge though, it will deform, if you get into an un-split able piece with this either buy some metal wedges and a sledge hammer, or use your chainsaw to cut the piece in half.

For hand splitting, the Fiskars splitting maul seems to work well. What you have looks like most of the generic ones around here, for about that same price. They must work OK since they keep making them that way. I am really eager to try to get my hands on the Husqvarna S2800 splitting axe. It looks like it would outperform my Fiskars on the tougher stuff.

Yeah, the Fiskars X27 (36" long, head just over 4 lbs.) is the first splitting tool I pick up if not using an hydraulic splitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.