Husqvarna 41 leaking oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joe_pinehill

Nov 29, 2008
nj
My 1997 Husqvarna 41 is leaking oil. I replaced the oil delivery tube and the pump twice thinking that was the leak, and its still leaking. I took the bar off today, and the delivery tube look dry, and the bottom of the saw is soaked with oil.

I know this is a 20 year old chain saw but its only seen home use, still has good compression, and other than carburetor kits its has been running great.

Anyone know if these saws had a gasket or O ring in sealing the oil resovoir that may have failed? It is a mess, and have to store the saw on a pan.

I keep thinking of tossing it and switching to a $200 Echo.

Check with a Husky dealer on your area. They should have a schematic on their computer that would show what's going on there. Plus they may be able to tell you what the problem is right off. If not fixable they probably have a new saw for ya right there:).

I didnt think there were Huskie dealers anymore, I thought they were all big box stores.

I replaced the oiler tube, and used a thin layer of RTV. Seems ok. I've switched to Canola oil for the bar oil. If it leaks it won't be a mess, and any extra in the tank after i'm done cutting, i can just pour out onto the ground.

I replaced the oiler tube, and used a thin layer of RTV. Seems ok. I've switched to Canola oil for the bar oil. If it leaks it won't be a mess, and any extra in the tank after i'm done cutting, i can just pour out onto the ground.
Why wouldn’t canola oil make a mess? I’d think that any leaking oil will make a mess. There’s lots of Husqvarna dealers yet. They deal in the pro saws and I suppose they also sell the homeowners saws also.

Silly question but has it always leaked or is this a new thing? Every Husqvarna saw I have ever had/used leaks bar oil. I empty all the bar oil reservoirs between uses or I will start the day with a saw that has the bottom covered in bar oil and a mess where it sat.

Silly question but has it always leaked or is this a new thing? Every Husqvarna saw I have ever had/used leaks bar oil. I empty all the bar oil reservoirs between uses or I will start the day with a saw that has the bottom covered in bar oil and a mess where it sat.
My 390xp leaks a bit of oil but not badly. My 562xp and new 343xp don’t leak any oil yet. I was browsing on YouTube last night and I see someone has a video on how to fix leaky chainsaws. There probably lots of videos about the subject since there’s so many saws out there that leak oil. I’d say that they are mostly Husqvarna saws but I’ve seen some cheap McColloch and Poulal (PooPoo) saws leak a lot too.

Mine leaks some oil ... always did. I just put something (paper towels, etc) under the saw (in the carrying box) to absorb the oil. In my case, it isn't enough to try to correct the condition.