HVAC air return distance from wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmb6420

Burning Hunk
Jun 25, 2019
NE Oklahoma
I've searched and found several discussions on this topic but can't find the answer.

The consensus is that the forced air return/intake can't be within 10' of the stove, but I can't find out if that is 10 horizontal feet or just true distance.

Both vents and return will be in the ceiling.

Last edited:
I may have time to find the related code this weekend but it should be 10’ true distance. I would imagine an inspector would consider the stove pipe as part of the stove. Keep in mind an inspector (either insurance or gov) may consider the stove body to be from floor to ceiling. What I mean by that is imagine your wood stove was actually a big square that went all the way up, then use that to get your 10’ distance.

On a side note, I have seen returns in a taller ceiling above-ish the wood stove that passed inspection...

Reactions: jmb6420
It's mechanical code and I can't recall it distinguishing between vertical and horizontal distance. The actual chapter and verse are in a past posting here. Search for return mechanical code.

Thank you found this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506-100953.png
    Screenshot_20200506-100953.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 451
Reactions: snaple4
so is the stove door considered an open combustion chamber? Even if the door is closed? That code is actually pretty weak.

so is the stove door considered an open combustion chamber? Even if the door is closed? That code is actually pretty weak.

The "open combustion chamber" should refer to something more like a fireplace or even a built in grill; usually built into the masonry chimney. Even the older style natural draft water heaters may be considered open combustion.

The codes are written so that the return air opening will not defeat the drafting of any other open combustion chamber appliance when operating.

So if there is an outside air adapter does this meet the code for 10' clearances? This is assuming the code is intended to keep the return from interfering with the draft.

So if there is an outside air adapter does this meet the code for 10' clearances? This is assuming the code is intended to keep the return from interfering with the draft.
No you still need the 10'

The reason it still has to be 10’ is b/c you will still have to open the door to load wood and there is the chance not all of the combustion air comes from the outside air pipe.