HVAC help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
15k is about right for a new top of the line 4-5 ton communicating 20 seer2 unit
I guess prices have crept up, which isn't a huge surprise. But still, you're not paying $15k for an extra 1% to 2%. What's the differential cost and efficiencies of that system, versus a more typical SEER 15-18 unit? That is what you're paying, for the "extra 1% to 2% efficiency", and this is the number against which you'd be comparing your gains or losses.

the replacements that i wire go from 12 seer to 14 seer sometimes 16 seer. the 15,000 is a give or take 1,000 is the going rate around here. some guys are up to 19,000 for a less of a unit. i have been wiring ecoer units. the seer rating is about 16 but the compressor has 40 speeds. that's what the company reps told me in the class. these units take what they need as far as power goes. last week was a cool week and the fan and compressor outside ramped down because it was so cool. by the way these units are inverter type and retro fit to just about any company's air handler and come in two sizes for residential. 2 to 3 ton and 3 to 5 ton

Here is a seer savings calculator. A 16 vs 20 seer unit is a tough to justify unless you have high electricity rates. Or run the unit a lot. Down here we are now required to install a minimum of 16 seer. Again I do your own math but a two stage 16 seer unit represents a good value.

Reactions: Ashful and begreen
don't forget that a 16 seer compressor has a different amount of electricity used from a inverter type 16. even on low for a 2 speed

When it gets got in the afternoon and the compressor runs for extended periods it shuts down but everything else runs (air handler and outside fan). Intermittent problem. Can shut it off and let it set for a while and compressor works again.

When it gets got in the afternoon and the compressor runs for extended periods it shuts down but everything else runs (air handler and outside fan). Intermittent problem. Can shut it off and let it set for a while and compressor works again.
Do you have a Duke load controll/intrupter device by chance?

But my first thought is the compressor is getting too hot.

Last edited:
Do you have a Duke load controll/intrupter device by chance?

But my first thought is the compressor is getting too hot.
Don't believe I have one of those . It's mid 80s here in the afternoon

if you are a dyi type of person here is one that might work. sounds like the compressor is getting hot. the dyi stuff is if the compressor has a insulating blanket around it maybe you can remove it to let it air cool. the blanket is for sound that the compressor is making.

this shutting off will probably get worse but try removing the insulation to see if that helps. if it is not the thermo switch and the compressor is running hot then it might not last long. have a amp draw performed to see if it is in spec. if not then that will tell you that you are on borrowed time.

if you are a dyi type of person here is one that might work. sounds like the compressor is getting hot. the dyi stuff is if the compressor has a insulating blanket around it maybe you can remove it to let it air cool. the blanket is for sound that the compressor is making.

this shutting off will probably get worse but try removing the insulation to see if that helps. if it is not the thermo switch and the compressor is running hot then it might not last long. have a amp draw performed to see if it is in spec. if not then that will tell you that you are on borrowed time.
No it doesn't have an insulated blanket. The compressor is literally brand new but crap happens in mass manufacturing.

Don't believe I have one of those . It's mid 80s here in the afternoon
You need a master technician to get to the bottom of what’s happening. Have you verified the inside coil is not freezing up?

Reactions: fbelec