HVAC pros

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
I have a 22 year old central air unit, that I am afraid is going to bite the dust in the middle of a heat wave. It's a 3 ton unit, and so far the only bid I got was for $2700 dollars. It would mate up to a 1 year old high efficiency NG furnace. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

We need way more information to give any advice.

What makes you feel your old one is about to fail?

Whats the seer rating of the new unit

Have you done a load calc to make sure 3 tons is what you need?

Whats the warranty?

Equipment manufacture ?

We need a lot more details. If its a 21 seer High efficiency that's a steal of a deal. If its a 13 seer bottom of the barrel no-namer then that seems awful high.

We need way more information to give any advice.

What makes you feel your old one is about to fail?

Whats the seer rating of the new unit

Have you done a load calc to make sure 3 tons is what you need?

Whats the warranty?

Equipment manufacture ?

We need a lot more details. If its a 21 seer High efficiency that's a steal of a deal. If its a 13 seer bottom of the barrel no-namer then that seems awful high.

Not sure on a lot of your questions, but we've had it since we've owned the house and it always cooled with no problem. The reason that I'm looking to have it replaced is that the cooling fins are starting to break down, and it's rusting everywhere. I don't think they go much longer than 22 years. It's not a 21 seer, that would be overkill for Michigan, as we just don't run our air that much. I'm just trying to be proactive, because you know it will break down when it's 98 degrees outside and all the repair people are booked up.

Maybe consider replacing it with a high-efficiency heat pump to get the benefit of heating as well as cooling. It will cost more, but a two-stage unit rated with a high SEER and HPSF will help offset heating costs too. Carrier, Trane, American Standard, Mitsubishi and Daikin have some good units.

Reactions: ben94122
Its a tough time of year to research replacement, most techs are full out keeping stuff running, if you can limp along until fall you should get better pricing.

Maybe consider replacing it with a high-efficiency heat pump to get the benefit of heating as well as cooling. It will cost more, but a two-stage unit rated with a high SEER and HPSF will help offset heating costs too. Carrier, Trane, American Standard, Mitsubishi and Daikin have some good units.

Holy Moley that would be very expensive Begreen, plus heat pumps are not designed for Michigan winters. Our neighbor has one and hates it, it won't keep the house warm on bitterly cold days. From what I understand heat pumps are best suited for moderate climates.

Holy Moley that would be very expensive Begreen, plus heat pumps are not designed for Michigan winters. Our neighbor has one and hates it, it won't keep the house warm on bitterly cold days. From what I understand heat pumps are best suited for moderate climates.
Just a thought. Yes, they are more expensive, but that comes off the heating bill. If your heating costs are low already then it may not pencil out. The good units are quite efficient. It should not be expected to cover all the heating. Instead, it would be staged so that the gas furnace took over at a set temp, like 20º. That way the heat pump is handling all shoulder season heating and milder winter days. There are some that will heat at 0ºF, but they cost a lot more and you already have two backup heating sources, the furnace, and the woodstove. We heat with the heat pump and wood stove. Our heat pump is an older design, but a high-end unit that is set to switch to resistance heat at 25º. I think this has only happened twice since it was put in in 2006. FWIW, we have never felt uncomfortable or dissatisfied with the heat output, but then again we are usually burning wood when the temps drop below 45 except when away for some reason.

Just a thought. Yes, they are more expensive, but that comes off the heating bill. If your heating costs are low already then it may not pencil out. The good units are quite efficient. It should not be expected to cover all the heating. Instead, it would be staged so that the gas furnace took over at a set temp, like 20º. That way the heat pump is handling all shoulder season heating and milder winter days. There are some that will heat at 0ºF, but they cost a lot more and you already have two backup heating sources, the furnace, and the woodstove. We heat with the heat pump and wood stove. Our heat pump is an older design, but a high-end unit that is set to switch to resistance heat at 25º. I think this has only happened twice since it was put in in 2006. FWIW, we have never felt uncomfortable or dissatisfied with the heat output, but then again we are usually burning wood when the temps drop below 45 except when away for some reason.

I appreciate the advice, our highest gas bill last year was 130.00, that was in January. I just got our latest bill, 22.00.

What was the $2700 quote for? Goodman and Bryant systems provide good value and performance with their 2 stage systems.