HX Installation Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I plan to install both of my HX in a similar matter. Do you think the valves and unions are unnecessary? Am I worrying too much about flushing them out in the future? I notice a lot of heat exchangers that are just sweated into place permanently and I am concerned I may be just wasting my money. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• House HX Piping Plan 4 Temp Gauges.jpg
    House HX Piping Plan 4 Temp Gauges.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 329
I would not plumb in a plate hx without unions and valves to allow removal for cleaning. IMO you are not wasting your time or money, but saving on both for the long run.

Agreed...the first time you do have to remove them you'll be extremely happy you added the shutoffs and unions.

Did my install last year,used shut offs and unions at each unit in the whole system(pump,and both HX) As stated before for cleaning and replacement purposes.Expensive at install but will save the future headaches.

Deere10 said:
Did my install last year,used shut offs and unions at each unit in the whole system(pump,and both HX) As stated before for cleaning and replacement purposes.Expensive at install but will save the future headaches.

I bit the bullet also!

WebStone Valve Company makes a union/drain/ball valve that has everything you need in one fitting. It's a dielectric to boot. Send me a PM if you can't find them locally.

http://www.webstonevalves.com/customer/wecoin/PDF/Propal _web.pdf

No way would I recommend installing a plate HX without some method of isolating it and cleaning without taking half your system apart.

heaterman said:
WebStone Valve Company makes a union/drain/ball valve that has everything you need in one fitting. It's a dielectric to boot. Send me a PM if you can't find them locally.

http://www.webstonevalves.com/customer/wecoin/PDF/Propal _web.pdf

No way would I recommend installing a plate HX without some method of isolating it and cleaning without taking half your system apart.

Thanks Heaterman,

I had already ordered the Webstone ball/drain combo, but not knowing about these had also ordered separate unions. Your suggestion would have been faster and cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.