Hybrid Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk Brother

Aug 31, 2007
Near Dayton Ohio
It's time for me to quit borrowing a splitter and buy my own. Since I live in town, I keep going back and forth between using gas or electric as the power source. Gas for the power and portability, electric for the neighbor's peace. Yesterday I found out that if I had an extra four grand, I could have the best of both worlds. (Uh, not gonna happen). But it's fun to look at: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66167 (By the way, I don't have any connection with either the owner or the fabricator).

Ah, toys. :) My splitter goes on my Bobcat skid steer, so I can take it down to the swamp and split there to leave the mess. I can see where electric would be nice if you had neighbors you have to keep happy, though.

Poult

Poult said:
Ah, toys. :) My splitter goes on my Bobcat skid steer, so I can take it down to the swamp and split there to leave the mess. I can see where electric would be nice if you had neighbors you have to keep happy, though.

Poult

The gas motor for when you don't :) lol

If you're really concerned about the noise you could box the motor with 2" foam blocks. Personally I think there's more bang for the buck with a gas splitter, In OH you'll be running into a lot of cherry...that's a hard wood.

You might want to check out the Ramsplitter. I bought the 20 ton with the 3 hp electric motor and am very happy with it. I'm sure they would sell you the gas engine and pieces to convert it in under an hour. I suspect this combo would cost about half what that baby would cost.

Chris

I'm saving up for one of those, but I'm gonna order mine with both the solar and wind power options as well. Rick

I keep hearing the concerns with log splitters and neighbors. I keep asking myself "how do they mow their lawns"? Why is that acceptable and not a 5 to 8 hp log splitter? Hmmm...just wondering.

Since I typically only split wood on a few weekends a year, the neighbors weren' really the concern. I was more concerned about MY hearing as the "Crusher" NEEDED hearing protection when it was running. The other considerations were not ever having to run out for gasoline, zero fumes and much cheaper operation. I figure mine at less than 50 cents an hour.

Chris

savageactor7 said:
If you're really concerned about the noise you could box the motor with 2" foam blocks. Personally I think there's more bang for the buck with a gas splitter, In OH you'll be running into a lot of cherry...that's a hard wood.

Be careful....that's a good way to over heat and burn up a engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.