Two wood splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I got my hands on a speeco 22 ton splitter.
I already have a horizontal splitter that I have been improving for the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of making my homemade one electric so I have the option of splitting in relative peace and quiet at home, and then having the gas speeco for "on the road" stuff like helping other people who dont have 220v power outlets.

Does this sound like a good plan? Would you do something different?

Sure ! If you have the funds and it works for you.......You would always have the speeco for big stuff.

I use my homemade splitter on the big stuff, lol. Anything I can't lift gets noodled. I have almost no use for a vertical splitter.

Reactions: baseroom
Sounds like a good plan to me. Inevitability, you will have an issue with one, always nice to have a backup. Quite is nice too!

You could have piles of bucked rounds ready to go and then have a family get-together and have both splitters going chop chop. Git ‘er dun.

Reactions: JimBear
I love my electric Super Split.

I converted my homemade splitter to electric. No looking back, it's awesome.
No ear muffs, no fumes, no gas or oil, a d no vibration. I used a 3hp motor and 100 ft cord. Loving it!

I got the motor for $25 and picked up a used pump too. Less than $75 in the whole job.

Attachments

• 20200820_124715.jpg
    20200820_124715.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 161
I converted my homemade splitter to electric. No looking back, it's awesome.
No ear muffs, no fumes, no gas or oil, a d no vibration. I used a 3hp motor and 100 ft cord. Loving it!

I got the motor for $25 and picked up a used pump too. Less than $75 in the whole job.
I don’t know if I could do that, my splitter has a 306cc 10.5hp engine on it but there might be more of a push to go with electric splitters in the future considering how other internal combustion engines are slowly being replaced by electric motors. I’d like to try a 240v splitter someday myself but I’m sure a new one would cost about what my 37 splitter ton did, around $925 or more.