Hydraulic fluid squirting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
My neighbor's log splitter is squirting hydraulic fluid out of the vent hole on the fill plug, he said it's not a slow leak, but squirting like 6 inches or so. I did some minimal research, and the usual reasons are overfill, or the splitter is not on level ground. He checked the fluid and said if anything it was a tad low, and it was level as far as he could tell. Extreme cold comes into play with some of these issues, but we've been in the mid 30's. I asked him if he had been splitting any wood like elm that would cause it to struggle and cause hydraulic pressure, more than usual. He wasn't splitting any wood. I suggested that he cycle the splitter a few times, even split some logs and see if it clears up. Also , this splitter isn't even a year old.

Does anyone have any reason for this that I'm not thinking of, or any troubleshooting ideas?

I would also question his take on "FULL". hydro tanks need some air space in the tank to account for heat expansion. And as Kevin said above, air intrusion will also cause fluid expansion and poor compression characteristics.

Possibly suction line or shaft seal. Either place takes in air, compressed, then expands in return and tank.
I would also question his take on "FULL". hydro tanks need some air space in the tank to account for heat expansion.
I will have him check to make sure all of the bolts and clamps in the system are tightened down, including the filter, and make sure all the hoses look neat and orderly. That's also a good call to make sure he is checking his fluid per the manual.

Yes, whats he call full. Mine a inch or two down from the top. Maybe add a vertical pipe to it.

Reactions: MoDoug
I always seem to overfill my tank. I use this type of breather. If I over fill it it bubbles out for awhile until it reaches the proper level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-085145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210117-085145_Chrome.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 160
Yes, whats he call full. Mine a inch or two down from the top. Maybe add a vertical pipe to it.
I always seem to overfill my tank. I use this type of breather. If I over fill it it bubbles out for awhile until it reaches the proper level.

A couple of interesting ways to deal with a little overfill. I'll have to mention these to my neighbor.