Hypalon Tank Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenaliChuck

Mar 25, 2008
South Central Colorado
Looking at the chart that jebatty posted http://www.proco-fwi.com/pdf_files/selecting.pdf CSPE (Hypalon) seems to be a good choice for a tank liner (high temp of 210*).

A quick call to a Seattle supplier and a 14.5' x 15 piece prices out at $2.50 per square foot or about $550.

Has anybody tried this type of liner?

It's been great reading all of your advice. From all that I've read so far I'm leaning toward a Tarm Solo Plus 40 with ~1,000 gallons of non-pressurized storage to heat a 2,200 sq ft well insulated house with radiant floor heat and a wood fired hot tub. Present actual BTU input to the house is 170 million annually (incl DHW). As I learn more, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for all your information so far!

Chuck

Very interesting. The only thing that doesn't add up for me is the oil consumption for your DHW. It's WAY higher than I would expect. We used to use 20 gallons a month for a family of five. Given how efficient your house seems to be, I'm surprised that you could use that much oil for DHW, and that little extra for space heating - in Alaska, of all places.

Here in Vermont, we used about 2/3 gallons per day for DHW year-round, and about 3 1/2 gallons per day for space heating during six months of winter.

I bring this up because I wonder if your peak load is higher than you think relative to your off-season load.

The DHW does seem high. Last year when I burned propane
I would burn 20+ gallons a day on a cold day for heat + DHW + dryer.
In the summer I would burn < 2 gallons for DHW + dryer

Ethan

Somehow I missed your replies!

My DHW is an estimate as I may have been experimenting with using heating fuel in a diesel powered conveyance. :red: I'll be able to accurately gauge the use this summer (thanks Craigslist).

Anybody try a Hypalon liner? Seems to me a couple hundred bucks extra for a "skookum" liner in a system like these is worth it to prevent having to re-line the tank in 10 years...

Chuck

Here in Vermont, we used about 2/3 gallons per day for DHW year-round, and about 3 1/2 gallons per day for space heating during six months of winter.

FWIW, we use electricity for DHW:
Jan 115 kwh x $0.038=$4.37 or x $0.092=$10.58 for month (gone for 11 days in Jan)
Feb 146 kwh x $0.038=$5.32 or x $0.092=$13.43 for month
Mar 140 kwh x $0.038=$5.72 or x $0.092=$12.88 for month

No hot tub, but do have a soaker tub big enough for two. Have an 80 + 50 gal hot water heaters. Also a shower, dishwasher, etc. Low flow on all faucets and shower. Just the two of us, plus children and grandchildren occasionally. Except for that tub for two, we don't waste hot water (and the 2-fer is well worth it!). The low rate is what we pay as we get off-peak (between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am) service. The high rate is our regular rate for electricity.

As another of my posts suggested: hot water heaters are raised off the floor on a 2x4 frame and insulated underneath; 6" fiberglass wrapped around and on top of tanks; pipe insulation on all hot water pipes from tanks to points of service; and heat traps on inlet and outlets of tanks. Those features reduced our electric usage by 1/2 compared to what we used before.

Electric hot water may be an economical option with the added conservation features.

I've never heard of using a Hypalon liner. I used the heavier EPDM liner and it works fine so far. This was my first winter so I have no way of knowing how it will hold up long term. Tarm has been using and recommending EPDM for many years, so if Hypalon was better I'm sure they would be recommending it instead of EPDM. I've heard of storage tanks that are 15 years old and still on the original EPDM liner.

Also, EPDM is readily available and pretty inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.