I Blame this Forum!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillier23

Jan 9, 2015
Illinois
Afternoon guys and gals. I haven't even taken delivery of my new Ideal Steel stove but reading through the forums about getting good wood dried before hand has sent me into a frenzy of collecting. These are the three piles I've been able to collect since January, I think it'll cover me for a while?

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 408
Might wanna split some more.... just my $0.02...

That's a great start, could be a few year's worth already which is where you want to be.

I hope so, there's five cord split and stacked. I would think this would last nearly two years by itself considering the fairly mild winters we have compared to the northern states.

I hope so, there's five cord split and stacked. I would think this would last nearly two years by itself considering the fairly mild winters we have compared to the northern states.

I think you're right. You'll prolly end up around 3 cord/year. Some of those logs are huge..

I cut split and stacked about 8 chords 3 years before I built the house I now live in. That has given me the time to get more wood cut, split, and stacked for drying another 3 years.

Nope. You're gonna need more ginormous logs :)

Illinois is a southern state? :)

It's not Wisconsin, Dakotas or Canada. Our average winter temps are in the mid 20's at the coldest. We do have a few 0 days on occasion.

It's not Wisconsin, Dakotas or Canada. Our average winter temps are in the mid 20's at the coldest. We do have a few 0 days on occasion.
I didn't know Canada was purchased by the US ;)

You may have warmer weather but we have better insulation requirements for houses.

Too much wood is never a problem (keep it dry and it won't rot)...too little always seems to be. You're off to a great start but if you had 10 cords you'd be 2-3 years ahead which is nice! Good call on getting on top of things before November!

Andrew

Reactions: Swedishchef

Depending on which map you look at there are 3 distinctly different heating zones for the state of IL. The top part is in the same zone as most of WI and MN and the bottom zone is about equal to KY and TN. Vastly different heating requirements and weather from the top to the bottom.

Reactions: Swedishchef
You did some nice cribbing......
Just lit up my stove, third year in a row burning in May.....
Getting that wood put up before getting your stove will be your best friend one day....

Reactions: northwinds
Status
Not open for further replies.