I brought my new baby home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I picked up the 2-3 year old VC Resolute Acclaim from Elk this morning and she was beautiful. Elk gave me the tour of his wood operation and the electric splitter was pretty impressive. Got the stove all loaded up after mentally wrestling with the 430# mass of the stove and the two of us and a minivan to get it into. Eventually Elk came up with a well thought out risk free plan and in she went and away I went. Got her home and used a 2 wheeled dolly, a block under the stove and some 10' planks as ramps and rolled her right into the house and 2 more ramps and up onto the hearth she went. got her centered and safe distance from walls, installed new pipe, swept the chimney and fired her up. I put 1 bio brick in and 3 small red oak splits in and am keeping the temp around 300 degrees as Elk had recommended to cure the cement and paint. She smells like a new stove smells. It has been going on 4 hours and she is still at 325 degrees and there is still wood to burn on those splits. I am imagining that if it is taking that long to go through those splits, I might use 1/2 as much wood as last year with the old 83 resolute. Thank you so much for the stove Elk, she will be well taken care of.

Attachments

• 100_0386.jpg
    100_0386.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 689
Yep , Thats the spot for her .......... nice stove + less wood @ good price and saving monies on wood/woodwork = #1 Good looking install and got your exercise too. what else could u ask for.

Looking good. hearth.com strikes again. I especially like that brick wall beside the stove. Lotsa thermal mass just born to hold that heat and give it back gently overnight.

Now get some sheet metal screw in that pipe!

BrotherBart said:
Looking good. hearth.com strikes again. I especially like that brick wall beside the stove. Lotsa thermal mass just born to hold that heat and give it back gently overnight.

Now get some sheet metal screw in that pipe!

3 screws per connection and she's screwed into the stove connector. The brick does just that and it works wonderfully.

Well my wife notice the two child safety seats and asked me the ages of Mike's children. She then said that she was glad
it went to them with the growing familly. She told Mike she really like that color blue and that the stove looked like the day
we got it. Boy does that stove look good sitting there. My home, if the sun hit it just a little it heats up. I was hoping it would get cold enough I would fire up mine but it is still 72 in here 49 outside. I wish I had more of these stoves to get into the hands of fellow members. The next one will be a black 1988 Defiant Encore. I am removing it and installing a new non Cat Encore. This is for the guy that was to be the reciever of the donor program last year. I have patched up this stove and kept is running. I have the replacement plates to replace the cracked ones.

Miie for a truer temp reading place the stove thermo on the griddle plate. One other question the wife approval is she ok with you gamble getting a used stove?

Nice looking setup. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of those color enamel stoves, (guess I like the traditional black) but yours looks good on that brick hearth. Enjoy the warmth

Looks sweet! and you have to say, buying a VC from elk is like buying a Volvo from a volvo mechanic. One question though.. why not cock it back 45* and put the other shelf on it? Is there no room?

Agreed. The stove looks great, but just seems like it wants to be rotated 45 deg. to become a corner hearth install. Would that help or hinder the overall layout of the stove in relationship to the room Michael?

elkimmeg said:
Well my wife notice the two child safety seats and asked me the ages of Mike's children. She then said that she was glad
it went to them with the growing familly. She told Mike she really like that color blue and that the stove looked like the day
we got it. Boy does that stove look good sitting there. My home, if the sun hit it just a little it heats up. I was hoping it would get cold enough I would fire up mine but it is still 72 in here 49 outside. I wish I had more of these stoves to get into the hands of fellow members. The next one will be a black 1988 Defiant Encore. I am removing it and installing a new non Cat Encore. This is for the guy that was to be the reciever of the donor program last year. I have patched up this stove and kept is running. I have the replacement plates to replace the cracked ones.

Miie for a truer temp reading place the stove thermo on the griddle plate. One other question the wife approval is she ok with you gamble getting a used stove?

The wife is OK with me getting THIS used wood stove. I explained to her the depth of knowledge that you have exhibited in your various postings and that you are a code inspector for stove installs. You seem a bit anal retentive in the safety department which is what is required in the code enforcement and wood stove using business (this is a good thing Elk). After describing the total rebuild that you had done on the stove she was very Ok with the stove. And after running the numbers for her, sell old 83 stove for $500, and buy a virtually new modern efficient stove for $800, basically $300 for a $2100 stove (if we bought it brand new). She was fine with it and likes the look. Now I just need to teach her how to use it and make sure that the Kids a clear about not chipping the enamel.

BeGreen said:
Agreed. The stove looks great, but just seems like it wants to be rotated 45 deg. to become a corner hearth install. Would that help or hinder the overall layout of the stove in relationship to the room Michael?

The room is longer than deeper so we have the chairs and couches on the other side of the room so the setup works well. And the brick wall gets the full brunt of the heat from the side of the stove for thermal mass heating. And after dinking with getting the stove pipe to fit just right it is going to stay right there for a while.

Hmmm.... I just have to ask since you got it from Elkimmeg. Is the stove permitted and inspected and your insurance informed? And, before you lit your first fire?

:)

Mike is two states away in ME not in my town he knows where I stand and what is required

Status
Not open for further replies.