I Built a crazy wood processor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmur1

Oct 5, 2017
Guelph ON
I had been around wood sawing and general firewood for many years. I have Woodmizer saw (LT30). This means there is also a large supply of slab firewood at my shop. I wanted to design my own processor and looked around at the various options available. I had a two jobs to accomplish with this processor design - slabs and split firewood and I wanted one machine to do both. Lots of chainsaw and buzz saw experience led me to lean in the large blade direction based on the blade maintenance and speed differences. I found a Ø 26-1/2" Carbide blade on Ebay. I bought the blade and started to layout how the new machine could work. I came up with a layout that I had not seen anyone else do - I wondered if it would ever work - but I went ahead and built it anyhow.

This story starts with me finding a large (Ø28") blade on ebay, buying it and laying out several concept assemblies to use it in.

This is the final/original design assembly I came up with:

Reactions: HDRock
Pro-e model looks like a good start. Pro-e / Creo the gift that keeps giving, just a joke as we users only curse it 3 times a day at work.

Looks like it will be "Made in Canada" this is a good thing.

This story starts with me finding a large (Ø28") blade on ebay, buying it and laying out several concept assemblies to use it in.

This is the final/original design assembly I came up with:

Link seems to be dead. I can't click it and there is no pic in the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the ProE model simulations for all the main structural parts and made some major changes to the splitter design and smaller changes to other components.
single.jpg

Reactions: HDRock
Pro-e model looks like a good start. Pro-e / Creo the gift that keeps giving, just a joke as we users only curse it 3 times a day at work.

Looks like it will be "Made in Canada" this is a good thing.

I curse Pro-E Every time I see a file come in from a customer......

Reactions: jmur1
That's pretty great. Nice work there.

jmur1, Great to see your project come to life. I have been using Pro-e for a couple decades now and its very good to see you putting it to work on a "G JOB" here is the states this term is used for personal project. Keep us updated.

Here is the machine as built! There are a number of added components, and more to come.

Dude, that's awesome. You just need a stool to rest on while you're running it. But I'm sure you already thought of that.

One question- how did you decide on a circular saw rather than a chainsaw? Can you get blades for that down at home despot?

Dude, that's awesome. You just need a stool to rest on while you're running it. But I'm sure you already thought of that.

One question- how did you decide on a circular saw rather than a chainsaw? Can you get blades for that down at home despot?

Thanks ED 3000!:

The blade was really the whole reason the project got started. I saw the blade on Ebay and went from there. I was able to buy several of these blades used. They can be resharpened as required. The blades are the Ø28" XL 4000 - available from several vendors online.
jmur1

That is impressive. Nice work it's quite a machine.

so i would gather that you are limited to apx 12" diameter log.

I had some high level testing on the processor this year. I ran a double trailer load of mixed knotty maple though and found the rate of damage jump up drastically. I posted this video that gives an idea of the crooked winding logs requiring constant winching- and if you wait till the end it shows the moment the lower wedge was sheared clean off.

I called it Homemade Wood Processor has a Bad Day

jmur1

Reactions: jetsam