I do believe this is the biggest round I ever split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ChrisNJ said:
Why not just wedge and sledge that into quarters first, you can see how easy that Pin Oak splits in the first splitting pic, just saying as I have a hernia from manhandling too much.

I guess I just needed to be shown what my limit is. :shut: I was working with a partner and usually rounds like that are not injurious. I was also doing a lot of other heavy duty tasks that week (including bucking a 24" Poplar (I think) in the middle of a river) and could have done the damage on any one of 3 different days. Pain didn't start until that weekend tho.

Big rounds are no harder to hand split than small ones. It just takes longer. I wouldn't drag something that big anywhere. I'd split it where it landed. That is some nice wood you got there. A couple days in each round.

Adios Pantalones said:
I am always surprised at how much wood is in a single big round- and I haven't had the opportunity on chunks that big.

Not just loads of wood, but not much bark either.

Just loads of beautiful burns in the future ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.