I Finished Refilling My Wood Shed Today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
I ended up burning a bit over 4 cords of wood this year. The way my wood storage areas are set up I empty out a 2 cord bay at a time as I burn. Back in January I emptied my first bay and worked up enough wood to refill it. I finished burning the second 2 cord bay last week and got busy processing a couple of trees to refill it.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

I still have some smaller pieces to clean up out in the woods, but the wood is right along my daily hiking trail so I'll carry home one or two pieces each day and throw them on the top of another stack until it's all under cover. I hit it pretty hard the past couple of weeks, so it's a really good feeling to be done with the heavy lifting for about the next 8 months when I'll start back in.

Nice.
I started thinking about cutting more wood and then it snowed 10 inches. Kind of wet & muddy out there now. Lows of 16 tonight. Ups and downs of spring weather in MN.

Hi Nick great work.... How tall and long is your shed, I'm thinking of making something like that, is it tall enough that you can stand in? If not do you wish you made it that tall? Thanks

Hey Ram, The shed in the photos if 32 feet long and between 6 and 7 feet tall (it's on a little incline), which is tall enough for my 5'8" frame to stand under. It is deep enough that I can stack my wood three rows deep. I estimate it holds about 8 cords of wood since I cut my wood 20" long. I could have made it taller, but I wanted to be able to stack by hand and that's about as high as I can comfortably lift big splits.

Thanks a lot, I was going to go much higher but now that I see yours, I think I'm going to go the 7 ft route making it just tall enough to stand in.

Much appreciated....

Lookin' good! :cool: Your wood gets dry enough to burn in 6 months, even packed in like that where it's not getting a ton of air? Is that Maple?

Hey Woody, Most of my wood is oak and I'm on a three year cycle. In addition to the 8 cords stored under this shed roof I also have another four cords in two other areas, also under cover. I burn about four cords a year, so all the wood gets three years to dry out before I burn it. All but about a cord and a half of my wood is open to the south where it gets year round sun on it. About half the wood is standing dead oak, so that gives the wood a bit of a start at seasoning. Last year I harvested a bunch of oak that had been dead, but up off the ground for 7 or 8 years and that stuff was dry enough to burn as soon as I processed it.

Nice work Nick..where are you in WNC? I have spent many weeks winding through the mountains on my motorcycle down there. I hope to live there again some day.

Hi sportbikerider,
We live near Marion, NC, which is about 35 miles east of Asheville. As you know we have some of the most beautiful cycling roads in the country. When I had my motorcycle (sold it a few years ago and bought a 350Z) I logged quite a few miles on our mountain roads. I could go on rides from my home and not cross paths with another vehicle sometimes for a half hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.