I found a side of an old wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bamabww

Jan 3, 2023
Moulton, Alabama
Hello from north Alabama,

I live very near the Bankhead National Forest and do a lot of exploring there since I retired. I found this while walking along a creek several years ago and returned this past week just to see if it was still there. It was. I've looked, through a Google search, and only found one other stove like it. That stove is in a museum in Fort Stanton, NM according to the picture's description.

I have emailed them and asked if they had any information on the Volcano heater / stove in their museum but they haven't replied.

I was wondering if anyone here can share some info on the heater just from this picture? I looked all around the area and can't find an old homeplace or any clue to why it is there. Any info or direction you could share will be appreciated.

Wayne

IMG_0215.jpeg IMG_0216.jpeg

Neat! ...and welcome to the forum.

I don't know too much about the stove or company that made it, though a quick image search brings up some examples which might offer other leads...

Looks like there is also a modern Volcano stove - though likely no relation. So I also tried a search looking specifically for antique stoves:

(Looks like there might also be a 'vulcan' stove, so also helps to search specifically for 'volcano')

Reactions: Bamabww
I'm afraid so. The info I've found on it said it was made between 1870 and 1874.
Neat! ...and welcome to the forum.

I don't know too much about the stove or company that made it, though a quick image search brings up some examples which might offer other leads...

Looks like there is also a modern Volcano stove - though likely no relation. So I also tried a search looking specifically for antique stoves:

(Looks like there might also be a 'vulcan' stove, so also helps to search specifically for 'volcano')
Thank you very much. That's much better than I did. I appreciate your time and effort. If I find out anything I'll share it.

Reactions: VintageGal
maybe there was a house or cabin there and burnt down years ago. might be a nice piece of history there

The local White Mountain National Forest and the surrounding region was extensively logged with a combination of river drives and narrow gauge logging railroads. Much of the land was never settled. Initially all the wood was cut with axes and then they switched to crosscut saws. The logging was done over the winter by logging crews that built remote camps where they would stay the winter until they cleaned out the trees. The camps were heated by wood stoves that were used hard. In many cases old stoves were left at the camps when they were abandoned. The big era was the late 1800s to the 1940s. The trees have long since grown back but remains of the past remain and pieces of stoves are frequently found. They were usually broken up into pieces so they could not be used as the land owners and the forest service were worried that people subsequently in the woods might try to use them and leave a fire in the woods. On national forest lands the remains are now historical artifacts so its against the law to remove them.

Last edited:
The big era was the late 1800s to the 1940s.
Here in north Alabama it was the late 1920's thru the 1940's. We found an interesting tree carving while exploring the forest left by one of the loggers.
IMG_8639.JPG
On national forest lands the remains are now historical artifacts so its against the law to remove them.
Yes that is true but this item is on private land inside the forest. Different laws apply there. But I'm not interested in removing it. I'd just like to find out some info about it: where was it made etc. The link supplied above by @Corey shows many Volcano stoves / heaters but none as fancy as the one I showed in my original post. It must have been a more expensive model. I appreciate the info you provided about the forest in your area. That was an interesting read and thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: VintageGal
Must be browser issue. Search for "Tall Trees, Tough Men" by Robert Pike