I found my groove, then lost it again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris S

Jan 22, 2008
Orange County NY
I installed and started my system in October, and have been burning ever since. I usually light a fire in the morning, and head off to work, my wife will refill the boiler during the day. The good news is that I'm not burning any oil. The bad news is approx 5 cords so far.
Earlier this month I was at one fire and 1 reload for the day with 20 degree daytime temperatures, showing my tank temperatures up to 180-190 at night. Now I'm burning more than that again, and it's been a litlte milder out. I don't care about the wood consumtion so much as I have plenty of wood available, I just hoped for better. I've been sticking the wood with my moisture meter, most is close to 30%, and so I shouldn't be surprised.
The week of great success I had I attribute to a rack of dry wood- I didn't keep track- what it was, probably not oak, which I have a lot of.
I think My next project is going to be a wood rack made out of black pipe which heated water will pass through- a home made wood drier. since I'm going to be in the same boat for next year. My boiler room is large enough to bring the wood in, store it, dry it etc. so we'll see how that works out.
From my btu calculations, I think best case would be 15 degree / hour temp rise in my storage - without any heat load in the house.
I should add that I get virtually zero solar gain in my home, and my wife likes to see 72-74 degrees on the thermostats ( we have radiant heat) I wear shorts at home.
I'm going to attribute it to 1. A learning curve. 2. Wet wood
My buddy who is a logger came over- he thought my system was great, and could not get it through his head that the wood was too wet. He splits wood all winter - (a lot of ash) and burns it 2 weeks later in a wood stove as he's been doing for 30 years.
Stay tuned

Chris S said:
I should add that I get virtually zero solar gain in my home, and my wife likes to see 72-74 degrees on the thermostats ( we have radiant heat) I wear shorts at home.
I'm going to attribute it to 1. A learning curve. 2. Wet wood
Stay tuned

Amen, Brutha'

BTW . . . does your wife run around in shorts too? 'Cause someone here swears that, without pics, it didn't happen

I cut an burn ash all winter in my gasser. A week in the basement and it is drier than other woods I have been seasoning for a year. Our property has about 90% ash on it... MC is everything with gassers...

I have been burning 30-35% oak in my system all season with only a few times having the fire go to a smolder. I think you are trying to get tanks temps to high also. I shoot right now for tank temps no higher than 168* because with out a differential control my boiler circulates the water back out to a cold boiler and back to the house until the entire 1000 gal storage gets to 168 and my boiler pump shuts off. I use my tanks down to 130* I have gone as low as 110* but it takes a long time to reheat that much water. My system is forced air with DHW sidearm.Do you have your boiler settings set for 30% moisture? is your fire burning all the way till coals or is it going out with logs left in the boiler?

Rob

Ash is probably the one species of wood a person can do that and get away with it. If it's cut while dormant it contains little moisture to begin with and for reasons of grain structure (from what I'm told) it dries very quickly compared to oak or other hard woods. Probably one of the best varieties of wood a person could use for fuel.

heaterman said:
Ash is probably the one species of wood a person can do that and get away with it. If it's cut while dormant it contains little moisture to begin with and for reasons of grain structure (from what I'm told) it dries very quickly compared to oak or other hard woods. Probably one of the best varieties of wood a person could use for fuel.

I'm also a big fan of Ash, although I find it doesn't keep a bed of coals the way that hard maple or yellow birch do )though they do not dry nearly so fast).

Instead of hot water tubes in your wood rack to dry the wood, how about just installed a water to air space heater and aim it at the wood pile? Just run a loop to it and set it on a timer so it circulates/blows 4-6 hours per day

First - I'm wearing shorts, she's still bundled up- opposites attract & all that.
My boiler room is usually at about 70-75 degrees, I have not insulated all of the pipes , when I do, that should lower the temperature, which is why adding heat ( to dry wood) doesn't upset me too much.
Both of my boilers pump into a hydroseperator ( I'll try to post pictures) I have an aqastsat on the return side- turns the pump on to pump to the house at 160 (currently) If my tanks are cool, this pump cycles, which I'm OK with this alone keeps my boiler temperature above 160.
Next I plan to fool with the EKO controller to get the fan settings more in line with what I'm doing & to shut off the pump at a higher temperature.
I'm trying to keep my tanks hotter for charging my indirect. My tanks are spray foamed, so very little heat loss there.
As for the Ash, wood I am resplitting in the boiler room still coming up a little high, and some of the oak is 30+%
I adjusted the air settings last month ( which coincided with finding my groove) but I think that I was burning some dryer wood at that time. I have about 3 cords stacked under cover- mixed ash/ oak / cherry. Anything else I cut and split this season will be ash

Attachments

• SAM_0339.jpg
    SAM_0339.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 241
Status
Not open for further replies.