I get a call...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I got a phone call from my neighbor and she says oh my god can you come kill a snake? I said I will be right there. The first one I took care of by picking it up as they show on tv and took it out back and let it go was about 10-14 inches smaller than this one.

I could say its a black mamba and I have no fear, but its a black snake and I think they were either trying to get a birds nest next to my neighbors house or they were wanting to mate. The one in the picture was close to 6 feet long and about as big around as a cue stick at the butt.

Shipper

Attachments

• Neighbors Snake 5-24-2010.jpg
    Neighbors Snake 5-24-2010.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 529
You and your dog sort of resemble one another, Shipper. And I mean that in a good way...yer both cute. :coolsmile: Rick

fossil said:
You and your dog sort of resemble one another, Shipper. And I mean that in a good way...yer both cute. :coolsmile: Rick
Thanks alot Rick, being called cute by a man is bad enough, but being compared to a Shar Pei is not good... :lol:

Shipper

OK, how about "distinctive"? ;-) Rick

"Distinguished"?

wood spliter said:
I don't care what kind of snake there is no picking up for me. Cool picture though!
I might pick it up with gloves on after I shoot it!

If you can handle a snake and smile for the pic that man enough!

oldspark said:
wood spliter said:
I don't care what kind of snake there is no picking up for me. Cool picture though!
I might pick it up with gloves on after I shoot it!
I picked up 2 snakes longer than anything I have ever picked up in my life. The neighbor and his wife have killed them before and I had him touch it before letting it go.

He has a 5 year old son and had him touch it also, then I let this one go off where I let the other loose. I figure it this way, if I killed everything I touched that wasn't a threat to me, would that make me like an animal? My neighbor says he has mice problems, I said this is your exterminator, so let them live.

Shipper

Attachments

• Black Snake.jpg
    Black Snake.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 414
:sick: :sick:
:sick:

I don't like snakes. I ain't scared of them...just don't like 'em. Little slither'in, no shoulder, egg suckin, sneaky bastages. Yuck!

:vampire:

Shipper50 said:
...I figure it this way, if I killed everything I touched that wasn't a threat to me, would that make me like an animal?...

Shipper...humans are animals. :) Rick

fossil said:
Shipper50 said:
...I figure it this way, if I killed everything I touched that wasn't a threat to me, would that make me like an animal?...

Yep, some more than others. :bug:

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
fossil said:
Shipper50 said:

Yep, some more than others. :bug:

Shipper

Well, I'm using the word as a noun, in which case we humans are all equally animals by definition. But I certainly understand your use of the term as an adjective, and I'm not gonna argue with you, because I think you're correct. :) Rick

Shipper50 said:
I got a phone call from my neighbor and she says oh my god can you come kill a snake? I said I will be right there. The first one I took care of by picking it up as they show on tv and took it out back and let it go was about 10-14 inches smaller than this one.

I could say its a black mamba and I have no fear, but its a black snake and I think they were either trying to get a birds nest next to my neighbors house or they were wanting to mate. The one in the picture was close to 6 feet long and about as big around as a cue stick at the butt.

Shipper

Where exactly is the snakes butt?

Retired Guy said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Where exactly is the snakes butt?
I wondered how long before someone asked this, the snakes butt is just below its hips. %-P

Shipper

OK, Shipper, that's it...you're now the official Hearth.com ophiologist. Congratulations. We're all very proud of you. Rick

Another thumbs up for not killing it! I'm the first to admit that snakes give me the heebie jeebies, but I've learned to "get over it". I'll pick up small ones (up to 2') but I have to pyche myself up to do it, lol. And if I startle one I jump, squeal, and dance with the best of 'em! But I always come back for a closer look. I might not look too closely at one that size, however... :gulp:

Years ago, when I had my horse I used to marvel that there were never any mice or rats in the barn. I figured it was becasue I kept all grain in metal cans. And then, one fine and very warm March day I saw it... a very large black snake coiled contentedly on the granite threshold up against the red siding on the south side of the barn... the metal cans probably helped, but clearly rodent control was on duty!

I'll give any non poisonous snake a free pass one or maybe two times and deposit them safely back in the woods. However, if they make a habit of hanging around the house and startling me (not the snake's fault, I know), I get rid of them for good. I'm not really scared of them. I don't touch them, though, any more than I would a squirrel, rat or any other wild animal that is apt to bite. I'm more of a dog person, but will take a cat over a snake for pest control anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.