I got called the Anti-Lorax, should I feel bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I was out on date night the other day and came upon one of my old neighbors who works in the restaurant. She was talking to us, and joking about how it was totally normal that I would show up to the bonfire with an armful of oak flooring and ask if anyone had a wheel barrow... she then went on to mention that I was the anti-lorax, and I definitely don't speak for the trees!

Granted, this was a few years ago when we cleared down a lot of stuff that needed to go, but I burst out laughing. I could see how the wood piles and brush piles make me seem.

Wow. Very unprofessional, mixing her personal views with work . Sounds like she is one of those cry baby democrats too. I wonder what would happen if you mention to her boss that she made you feel uncomfortable .

we have a good relationship, ands he said it jokingly, so I didn't really take offense. Its a small town bar, so its not like we were at a 5 star restaurant. And she is the boss :)

Wow. Very unprofessional, mixing her personal views with work . Sounds like she is one of those cry baby democrats too. I wonder what would happen if you mention to her boss that she made you feel uncomfortable .
Get a grip man not everything is political. To me it sounds a bit like you are crying about someone making a joke with an old neighbor while at work. And btw there are lots and lots of us "cry baby democrats" who burn wood and cut trees.

No. I sometimes have to remind people that cutting down trees can be good for the overall health of the forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bholler
Wow is right. You, in successive sentences, call her a cry baby then suggest telling on her. Get a mirror, and take a hard look.

No. I sometimes have to remind people that cutting down trees can be good for the overall health of the forest.
Like when they get their education from animated films. !!! Sounds like it was purely jest. Although a well informed quip delivered with a touch of sarcasm is always in good taste. Good times.

It's all good...we were driving to Church the other day, and the wifey looks out the window and says,"Look at all those trees on the ground going to waste...it drives you nuts doesn't it?"
I said, "I makes me wish I had a pick-up truck, a trailer, and a lot more time...and yes it makes me crazy."
She then turned to my eldest daughter and said, "He is so predictable." :)
She knows me all too well. lol

Well, the anti lorax was back in action today. Nearly filled a 30 yard dumpster with some brush and 4 of the 13 giant rose bushes. The yard is looking clear, and now my wife sees where I want the orchard.

Well, the anti lorax was back in action today. Nearly filled a 30 yard dumpster with some brush and 4 of the 13 giant rose bushes. The yard is looking clear, and now my wife sees where I want the orchard.
Hauling all those fine nutrients to the landfill is definitely anti loraxish! Burning wood for heat provides utility, managing the woods by thinning trees provides utility. Landfilling brush is, quite literally, waste.

There was a law in certain Scandinavian countries that made it illegal to haul the slash out of the woods when cutting firewood. The trees pulled the nutrients out of the soil when they grew, and if they wanted new trees to grow back, they needed those nutrients.

That dumpster is chock full of vitamins for your land.

Ed, maybe you've never dealt with multifloral rose? It's an invasive species, extremely aggressive (and painful!), to be wiped out with extreme prejudice.

Ed, maybe you've never dealt with multifloral rose? It's an invasive species, extremely aggressive (and painful!), to be wiped out with extreme prejudice.
Ha! That's about 50% of what I started with, literally hundreds and hundreds. I totally agree with eradication of the invasive, see one of my earlier posts in this thread or one of the others from our friend Dobish for how I've dealt with it. One thing I didn't mention- take the mattock to the stump or it grows right back. Some of them have really sharp curved thorns that look like cat claws.

Dobish replaced my mattock technique with the mini excavator, much more efficient. I can't fault any technique or disposal method for the roses, they are noxious. I burn them along with barberry. The grass around my fire pit is so green and lush from the ashes.

The other stuff, limbs and such, is really more what I was referring to in my comments.

Reactions: Ashful
Ed, unfortunately the brush, which there were two small piles of, nothing major, was in my path to clear out the other stuff. I still have a big pile that is being broken down by mother earth.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000