I got wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I understand. I was thinking the guy just dumped them there and pulled out with a big smile on his face. :cheese:

First night's work. I think I need to pick up the pace. This was 3 logs.
Firewood3.jpg

Dad's home made log roller. Some of them might get hauled out back at 4' long.
LogRoller.jpg

Good to see you got right to work. My suggestion is to stand the largest round you have upright against the end of that pile of rounds so nothing rolls as you pile it up.

I don't work as fast as some of you. This is 3 night's work, total of 9 logs cut up. Hopefully I can can make a big dent in the pile this weekend.

Firewood4.jpg

Bunch of rounds to split... I think I might buy a splitter :red:
Firewood5.jpg

I think your crazy if you're thinking about doing all that splitting by hand. Sure over time you could knock it out, but my time is worth more than the $600 or so for a good used splitter. Even then it'll take you a few days to knock that out after you get it bucked. What's bad is that it seems like such a triumph to buck up a few logs and then get them stacked all pretty. Then you look at them and think.... dang... I still gotta split them... THEN STACK AGAIN! You'll get through it all if you just keep you head down and keep sawing. If you are going to be splitting by hand then I suggest that you buck a few logs and leave enough time to get them split and stacked that day. If you build them up it's somewhat intimidating. It takes longer this way... but at least you aren't stacking and handling twice as much.

If not in a position to buy a splitter right now, I would definitely rent one for a day - you could get it all done if you had someone to help you once it is all cut up. Depending on your rental place, if not open on sunday, A saturday rental actually gets you Sunday too.

I stack my piles of rounds up to 6' high so I have less bending over to do in the long run when using the splitter. Going to cut my back breaking down with a log splitter cradle/table too...

Instead of a log splitter cradle/table, why not get a splitter that will stand up? Believe me, it is only half the work that way. Just park the splitter beside the pile, sit down and go to work. Every now and then you will then just move the splitter a few feet and sit back down. Much, much easier and I believe, faster too. The reason for that is not needing to lift.

Backwoods Savage said:
Instead of a log splitter cradle/table, why not get a splitter that will stand up? Believe me, it is only half the work that way. Just park the splitter beside the pile, sit down and go to work. Every now and then you will then just move the splitter a few feet and sit back down. Much, much easier and I believe, faster too. The reason for that is not needing to lift.

Amen brother. In the twenty years I have owned it my splitter it has only split one round horizontal. When I haul the rounds out of the woods I line them up up a small hill ending at the splitter. Then I just sit down and let one at a time come to me, stand it on end and bust it up. My John Wayne days are way back behind me now.

BrotherBart said:
...My John Wayne days are way back behind me now.

Not as far back behind you as John Wayne's are. Rick

Backwoods Savage said:

I have two trouble spots in my back - one around T6-9 and the other is what most guys get in the lower lumbar. For some reason the bending over stuff bothers my back much more than lifting. Now I am only 39 and still strong so of course enjoy moving large logs but these days I do keep the really big rounds for the bottoms and ends of the pile and split those ones with the splitter vertical - but everything else is horizontal with me standing upright = better on my back if I don't have to bend over to pick the same log up multiple times.

[Bunch of rounds to split... I think I might buy a splitter :red:
Firewood5.jpg
[/quote]

Don't get the splitter...get er all done by hand, me and the other folks without splitterz will be impressed :)
I just got 4 to 4.5 cords done by hand...a lot of work here and there over the past 3 weeks, but its all done and I have a sense of accomplishment.
In 10 - 15 years, I'll probably get a splitter....but I am in ok shape, and the back and shoulders are workin for me.
Good luck, and post pics when you are done....we will alll toast you with a frosty mug of the best ale. (or scotch)

whether or not u get a splitter u still gotta do some of it by hand its just the right thing to do....cause then u can say u did it!

iceman said:
whether or not u get a splitter u still gotta do some of it by hand its just the right thing to do....cause then u can say u did it!
I split down to the smallest I can with the splitter. I do the kin'lin by hand.

I was going to do some by hand, I have to try my new fiskar's splitting axe :cheese: I might leave the big or nasty ones and rent a splitter for the weekend.

Nine more gone. I went at it most of the day today and wore myself out by 4:30. I had a buddy stop by to cut up some the big oak. There is still a bunch more to go.

Firewood6.jpg

2 rows of red oak so far. That is the only wood I'm separating
Firewood7.jpg

I tried my fiskar splitting axe on a few smaller ones, it busts though them nice. The guy helping my wanted to try it before he ordered one, I think he was convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.