I guess there is no Jotul Oslo in my future.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
I went to my local stove store, Buck Stoves in Springfield, MO. I wanted to get a first hand look at the Oslo. I learned several things, one of which it is pronounced Yo' tul. I was figuring less than $2500 for the blue black enamel. So, I track one down and check out the price tag. It was nearly $3200. Okay, so maybe that is not the way to go. I want quality and beauty to keep the wife happy, but I thought lets check out the Matte. It was over $2500. From the threads I have read and the prices I was expecting, it looks like to me they have added the 30% to the normal price. It was down to an Oslo or an Englander. I think I am going to get the Englander. I may even spring for the shiny legs.

I was just in Fireplace Village in Keene, NH a couple weeks ago and they have them for the same price I paid a year ago ($2246 matte black).

Ahhh, I miss Springfield - did about 8 years there through college and start of my career, then my job moved to Topeka, KS - I stopped in Lawrence. Anyway welcome to the forum. I think either would make a fine stove. Have you searched around for any better prices - can't believe there isn't a better deal, maybe at some little mom and pop store. Maybe even on line if you're willing to give up the direct dealer service. Though admittedly, this probably isn't the best time of the year to go stove shopping. And you did plan ahead and get several cords of wood already seasoning, right? Otherwise it could still be a cold, smoky winter.

The Jotul webpage says: Your local Jøtul Dealers (US), closest to springfield, MO are:

Bucks Stove & Spa Master
8.7 miles
2835A East Division St
Springfield, MO 65803
Phone: 417-831-1688

Missouri Insulation & Supply
14.7 miles
1348 W. Liberty Avenue
Ozark, MO 65721
Phone: (417) 581-5812

Fuller's Fire Protection
33.4 miles
18043 Hwy 13
Branson West, MO 65737
Phone: 417-272-3273

House of Ivey
50.2 miles
210 South Adams
Lebanon, MO 65536
Phone: 417-532-3155

Years ago when I was looking for a stove and had my heart set on a specific model, it seemed like there was a little shop down that way which had a price cheaper than any I had seen - and enough cheaper I was going to drive the 400 mile round trip to get it. Can't begin to remember the name, though. Then I found a nice usedT one locally - still burn it today.

Anyway, good luck with what ever stove you choose. Be sure to post pics of the install!

Yeah that is a crock. List price on that stove in blue black is $2700.

Luckily I always have seasoned wood. I either cut it for the folks or in laws. Dad's recently got one of the new high efficiency propane furnances. He is spoiled now and doubt if he will burn a half a cord this year. So I hopefully there will be enough. Otherwise it is cutting up a bunch of hedge that has been down for three years.

BrotherBart said:

I think it's less than that. $2583 comes to mind for the BBE...$2246 for Matte Black

A couple weeks ago, I bought my blue black Olso for $2583. I needed the short legs kit which they threw in for free, they had them in stock. It was on display and they have to replace the baffle board. So I am waiting for it to come in. But it is OK as I normally don't start burning until November, sometimes, late Nov, depending on the temps.

BrotherBart said:

x2.

That's a ridiculous price. I paid $1949 for my blue majolica Castine one year ago.

Spoon said:
I went to my local stove store, Buck Stoves in Springfield, MO. I wanted to get a first hand look at the Oslo. I learned several things, one of which it is pronounced Yo' tul. I was figuring less than $2500 for the blue black enamel. So, I track one down and check out the price tag. It was nearly $3200. Okay, so maybe that is not the way to go. I want quality and beauty to keep the wife happy, but I thought lets check out the Matte. It was over $2500. From the threads I have read and the prices I was expecting, it looks like to me they have added the 30% to the normal price. It was down to an Oslo or an Englander. I think I am going to get the Englander. I may even spring for the shiny legs.

That's unreal, WOW My FIL paid $1,675.00 for his Matte Blk Oslo in May 2008. And man how the prices have been climbing..... I paid $1,399.00 for my Matte Blk Oslo in 2004.
My dealer is getting $1,879.00 for a matte Blk Oslo now add $299.00 for any enamel.

$3,200 for a Oslo Blue/Blk is like cutting someone off at the waist!

WoodButcher

I think the Dealer in Lansing MI is 2700 for the enamel job

I bet I wasn't in the store 5 mins. I saw the prices and the sales lady came up to me. I asked what that included, I was thinking maybe that it included the chimney kit and installation or something. It did not. I advised that I was not looking to spend that much. She was done with me at that point. I was real dissapointed with them. I will call some of the other dealers and give the oslo another try.

My ivory Oslo is sat on a trailer, backed up to my front door waiting for me to build a ramp later today. Paid $2433 inc tax.

Wait though, $3200 - 30% tax credit = $2240. They're cheaper than everyone else ;)

Well Carbon, Spoon did say, "it looks like to me they have added the 30% to the normal price." - so that may very well be. Dealer is trying to cash in on the 30% tax credit.

Spoon said:

Make an offer. See if the dealer will come off that $3200 some. And remember, the next stove you buy you will have for 10 years and probably more. $700 over 10 years is chump change. Buy the stove you WANT. Do not settle.

Bigg_Redd said:
Spoon said:

Make an offer. See if the dealer will come off that $3200 some. And remember, the next stove you buy you will have for 10 years and probably more. $700 over 10 years is chump change. Buy the stove you WANT. Do not settle.
I disagree, never go back to that store again - go find a store selling it at the recommended price, then talk them down a few hundred. Why give them any money? It's not that most stove stores don't sell Jotuls.

When I went through the tedious purchase of my stove four years ago I found it hard time haggling with the dealers around here also. No one was really interested in making a deal under the mfg suggested price. As for the pricing that seems a little high but not surprising when I went to the stove shop a month ago to pick up a polybrush I recently inquired about the Castine in the majolica and saw the catalog at $2795 list.

If you do decide to go with the Englander be prepared that you might end up doing the installation yourself it might be hard to find an independent certified installer who is not connected to a stove line and they will really jack you around on that end knowing you didn't buy their stove.

One way to save a little is once you have picked out the stove and made your best deal, ask them what kind of discount they give for paying cash. Usually you can get $100 on a $2500 purchase. The merchant pays a significant charge when they accept a credit card.

JBinKC said:
When I went through the tedious purchase of my stove four years ago I found it hard time haggling with the dealers around here also. No one was really interested in making a deal under the mfg suggested price. ...

I suspect one large factor may be time of year. September, October, November - the deals may be few and far between (also coupled with previous years high energy prices and the rush to buy stoves). March, April, May - might be pretty easy to make a deal as the store might not want to set on inventory all summer long. Kind of like buying a car as soon as the new model comes out...good luck getting any discount, but let it set until the next year just before the next model comes out and you might be able to cash in.

Firestarter - Give these folks a call if Farmington or Cape is not out of your comfort distance. They are good folks, Jotul dealers, and gave me a good price on a unit (not Jotul) that I purchased in February 09. They won't do the install since you're outside their normal work area. (I am not associated with them and not trying to sell)
http://www.bestcleanplus.com/

CarbonNeutral said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Spoon said:

I disagree, never go back to that store again - go find a store selling it at the recommended price, then talk them down a few hundred. Why give them any money? It's not that most stove stores don't sell Jotuls.

$3200 is about what they go for around here, but that's not the point. Get the best deal on the stove you really want.

EDIT - Got my stoves mixed up. I thought the Oslo was the big one. $3200 is pretty high for the F500.

Hanko said:
I think the Dealer in Lansing MI is 2700 for the enamel job

Which i forgot to add i paid $2300 OTD in march 07

Before I would "settle" for an Englander (which a lot of folks really like and honestly for a steel stove I think they look pretty sharp ;) . . . figured this might get some folks going) I would check out some other local dealers for pricing . . . and be up front . . . let them know you know the MSRP and realize that the 30% tax credit is designed to benefit the homeowner, not necessarily the store owner . . . adding 30% to the price is not right.

I wouldn't go from a Oslo to an Englander. I would do what the others said, give another store the business, dont go back to the original shop and I would send an email to Jotul asking about the pricing policies of that store.

Status
Not open for further replies.