I hate this Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I do not like this post, sounds kinda funny. This is his first post (Welcome aboard). The text has changed.

Yes Harman had a bad batch of augers motors in the P-68. If the Dealer was in business for 25 years he had to have at least one in the shop or a stove he could have used one from.

As for blowers, we all heard that a blower can go out in two years. that is not earth shaking news.

Eric

***Read your warranty prior tot he purchase of your stove***

Kenwheeler, look at your manual for the waranty coverage. If it is a 2009, whatever it states in the 2009 manual applies, not what it says in the current manual.

I got my years wrong, ordered the stove in 2009, had it installed 2010, electronics warranty expired 2 weeks before the 2nd motor quit working. Harmon's response was pretty much, "Sucks to be you"
I fixed the post and I stand by my dealer because I've known him for years. I guess it's good that so many others are using the P68. I know what my experience has been and I'm done with Harmon.

As to the response from ibcynya. I have a Ford truck, it runs great. If I got a flat, I'd fix it with the spare tire that came with the truck and I'd try not to run over tire damaging items. However, if I bought that new truck and before I could drive it the engine needed replaced (couldn't use stove a week after install, bad feed motor), I'd question my purchase. If 2 years later the transmission went out. I'd think they were building inferior vehicles. I couldn't be sure, but you better believe my next truck would come from a better builder. That said I'd also like others to know. Just because some "money hungry, fly by night" purchased a name, doesn't mean they also purchased the quality.

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]Hmmm I do not like this post, sounds kinda funny. This is his first post (Welcome aboard). The text has changed.

Yes Harman had a bad batch of augers motors in the P-68. If the Dealer was in business for 25 years he had to have at least one in the shop or a stove he could have used one from.

As for blowers, we all heard that a blower can go out in two years. that is not earth shaking news.

Eric

***Read your warranty prior tot he purchase of your stove***

not to raise alarms or questions, but geez....what dealer doesnt keep extra blowers and gear motors IN STOCK for the units they sell?! These things do fail, and most folks dont want to wait for a part that should be in stock in the first place! Oh, and the p68 is a 68,000 btu/hour stove...how much is the englander?

Lopeye makes a nice stove!

~ Sorry couldn't resist... ~

They all got one thing in common.

They burn pallets. :lol:

smoke show said:
They all got one thing in common.

They burn pallets. :lol:

hardwood pallets or softwood pallets? whats better? the loading door must be big too....how many pallets per day does it use?

I prefer the plastic pallets
you can store them outside
and the weather does not affect,effect
oh crap
bother them

The dealer has a new blower motor in stock. He'll find out today, 3 days after his initial call, of Harmon will replace his "extra" motor. They don't want to, he's waiting to talk to a supervisor. As for not having extra feed motors after the initial installation, maybe he recently used them to "fix" other "brand new" Harmon's.

Kenwheeler said:
As to the response from ibcynya. I have a Ford truck, it runs great. If I got a flat, I'd fix it with the spare tire that came with the truck and I'd try not to run over tire damaging items. However, if I bought that new truck and before I could drive it the engine needed replaced (couldn't use stove a week after install, bad feed motor), I'd question my purchase. If 2 years later the transmission went out. I'd think they were building inferior vehicles. I couldn't be sure, but you better believe my next truck would come from a better builder. That said I'd also like others to know. Just because some "money hungry, fly by night" purchased a name, doesn't mean they also purchased the quality.

You missed the point. Tire was an example, maybe I should have used another one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of parts on your truck not made by Ford.

A Harman specific example, the feed motor is make by Gleason Avery. Personally, I have a bone to pick with GA because their noisy. Others on the forum have commented that GA units are some of the "highest quality" units out there, but I'm looking for a quieter alternative. Now, maybe there are other units that are much quieter, but less reliable or twice the price. All those factors go into specifying a particular model. It's all a balance. I don't blame Harman for my noisy gearmotor because I simply don't know all the facts they do. If the stove was my only source of heat, I might be less concerned about noise and more concerned about reliability. In my case, I'd deal with it if it was quiet till it quit.

Dirty power can also contribute to electrical failures, so the true cause of your issues could be electrical gremlins, but that's just one of those things you'll never know... Also, dirty power can be a single instance, many instances or constant...once again hard to know unless you have thousands of dollars of monitoring equipment or elaborate protection 24/7.

So, when I see "I hate XYZ Brand" I tend to believe those people haven't taken the time to understand what XYZ Brand is comprised of and the myriad of circumstances that could lead to a component failure.

I expect everything to fail eventually. If it fails during the warranty period, great. If not, I replace it and move on. My wood appliances pay me every year, so giving a little back is no sweat...

Anyway, back to your rant.

I bought my Harman on the advice of friends who actually own them and a lot of due diligence online about them. I can honestly say I am on my 4th full winter with my 2008 Accentra and have had ZERO issues, still have the original ignitor!! Hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the azz!

Harman has always had a great warranty and reputation until it got sold to a huge conglomerate. After that the warranty is crap and the motors are being provided by the cheapest bidder which is the reason the warranty was cut.
This is the modern way of business buying a company with a great reputation and using the name to sell crap products.
Look at all the companies bought out by LTD and they just use the good name as a sales gimmick for their cheapened products.
A couple good things in your favor is the Harman name means you should get good money out of your stove. And yeah your stove could have gotten a bad motor from a batch of bad ones. Still you have a proven model that pushes a lot of heat and maybe you can get a generic motor that will fit a lot cheaper. Some of Dayton motors fit on the convection fan and they are reasonably priced.
At one point Harman and Bixby had the longest warranties in the business and it was a strong point but stove sales go up and down with oil prices and it proved to be feast or famine for these companies some survived and others didn't.
They all had to tighten their belts and the motto became produce a cheap stove and shorten the warranty. Keep the price high to ensure profits.

mrjohneel said:
Is a blower an electronic component? I thought they were covered for two years under warranty. And it's Harman. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
We ordered our P61 in May of 2008. Installed in August 2008. As I remember, the warranty on "Electronics"
expired in 2011. So 3 years on electronics?

We had the circulator fan replaced soon after installation. It still ran but very loud. (Bad batch of fans? Dayton)
Had a new control board installed last Summer. Got it done right before warranty was up.

Had igniter go right after warranty was up. It was the old style but did last 3 years.

We do like the stove but it has not been trouble free. The dealer has been great!!
Northern Lights in Farmington. Plug for them!!

Has paid for itself so all in all very satisfied.
Hope you can get through these bad times.

cool. more new spellings by the day.
we need a sticky thread with the correct spelling of this brand :p

lol dis-harmony up in here.

Im not happy with my Harmaaaan either Ken. Its going down the basement . I am shopping for woodstoves now. I wont even look at their wood stoves because of the name . Just can,t do it. Thats my choice .

smoker62 said:
Im not happy with my Harmaaaan either Ken. Its going down the basement . I am shopping for woodstoves now. I wont even look at their wood stoves because of the name . Just can,t do it. Thats my choice .

you should totally get a yodel-

jotul_wood_stoves_nh_jotul.jpg

Funny you should say that. I am leaning towards this yodel though. A little better on the aesthetics side of things.

Attachments

• F500_SE_BP_Prod_pl.jpg
    F500_SE_BP_Prod_pl.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 581
lbcynya said:
Kenwheeler said:

You missed the point. Tire was an example, maybe I should have used another one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of parts on your truck not made by Ford.

A Harman specific example, the feed motor is make by Gleason Avery. Personally, I have a bone to pick with GA because their noisy. Others on the forum have commented that GA units are some of the "highest quality" units out there, but I'm looking for a quieter alternative. Now, maybe there are other units that are much quieter, but less reliable or twice the price. All those factors go into specifying a particular model. It's all a balance. I don't blame Harman for my noisy gearmotor because I simply don't know all the facts they do. If the stove was my only source of heat, I might be less concerned about noise and more concerned about reliability. In my case, I'd deal with it if it was quiet till it quit.

Dirty power can also contribute to electrical failures, so the true cause of your issues could be electrical gremlins, but that's just one of those things you'll never know... Also, dirty power can be a single instance, many instances or constant...once again hard to know unless you have thousands of dollars of monitoring equipment or elaborate protection 24/7.

So, when I see "I hate XYZ Brand" I tend to believe those people haven't taken the time to understand what XYZ Brand is comprised of and the myriad of circumstances that could lead to a component failure.

I expect everything to fail eventually. If it fails during the warranty period, great. If not, I replace it and move on. My wood appliances pay me every year, so giving a little back is no sweat...

Anyway, back to your rant.

I am sorry but I really have to disagree with this philosophy....If I buy a car, pellet stove, jet airplane, t.v. set, you name it. I am buying for the quality of the maker of the black box. Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make all the components that go into the black box, they rarely do, but they are responsible for the functionality of the components that make up their black box. If they decide to use cheap components to make up their black box I am going to say their black box sucks, not the components. If they want to be known for a quality black box then they should choose quality components that make it up. my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.