I have 3 cords cut and stacked of oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 8 cords, all cut and split and stacked January - March. I burned 4 (I think, kept adding dead standing wood to the pile all winter) cords this winter, and wanted to have 2 years supply on hand, and worked my butt off getting to 8. Now I can be more casual in my wood gathering, and try to get 2 - 3 cords every fall and 2 -3 every spring.

2.5 cords is hedge (best), the rest is a mixture of locust (very good), and elm (ok), hackberry (pretty good).

I figured out that I have 8 cords with an excel sheet that was linked to a post on here someplace, but can't find the link now. Just input width. height, length of each stack, and it adds it all up. Maybe someone can find the link?

I finished my wood stacking today. I figure I have about 6-7 cords split and stacked and am in casual mode now too. I usually only burn about 2 cords a year but blew way past 3 this winter.
Here is the cord calculator like I posted a while ago.

http://maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

mike1234 said:
I have 8 cords, all cut and split and stacked January - March. I burned 4 (I think, kept adding dead standing wood to the pile all winter) cords this winter, and wanted to have 2 years supply on hand, and worked my butt off getting to 8. Now I can be more casual in my wood gathering, and try to get 2 - 3 cords every fall and 2 -3 every spring.

2.5 cords is hedge (best), the rest is a mixture of locust (very good), and elm (ok), hackberry (pretty good).

I figured out that I have 8 cords with an excel sheet that was linked to a post on here someplace, but can't find the link now. Just input width. height, length of each stack, and it adds it all up. Maybe someone can find the link?

For all stacks (or piles or whatever), length times width times height. Add them all together. Divide by 128.

I'm in pretty good shape. I try and have at least a cord of locust and a cord of oak mixed with misc. hardwood like maple, cherry, apple (easier lighting stuff) 4 cords total a year is good for my cb f3 burning 24/7 + some punky or scrappy stuff(2-3" rounds) mixed with some poplar for this time of year. I have plenty of locust for the next few years. Trying to fill in the gaps with some lighter stuff and more oak. Spring time is a good time to scounge here. I just picked up 3 cords in the last few days.

Attachments

• mywood1.jpg
    mywood1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 367
  • mywood2.jpg
    mywood2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 344
  • mywood3.jpg
    mywood3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 323
  • mywood4.jpg
    mywood4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 344
  • mywood5.jpg
    mywood5.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 334
OK, 3 cords plus a face cord of oak and ash. Have about a face cord left over and I am burning the crappy wood now. If I get off my butt soon I will split 2 more cord and be in great shape for this winter. I burned about 5 cord last year and a lot was silver maple and some (gasp) pine. Us midwesterners are spoiled with oak, ash, and hickory!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.