I have a pacific energy summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Can someone break this down to me, with the btu/ 39,159 of heat, why does it have to be on higher setting,? why can’t I get that on low, when everyone is telling me to turn down the air control. I will think that’s the btu I should be getting on low

IMG_2377.png

Last edited:
EPA testing is done with a fixed amount of softwood fuel. This is not the same as realworld cordwood burning. The stove is most efficient and puts out the most heat when the air is turned down enough so that secondary combustion is maximized and less heat is going up the flue. It does not have to be on a 'higher setting'. If the goal is to realize room heating efficiency, then insulate the basement walls to eliminate that major heat loss.

You get most heat per load (!) out of the stove when it's burning most efficiently. That is with the air turned down, as begreen points out.

But you get most heat per hour (!) out of the stove when burning high. That is less efficient (i.e. the ratio of BTUs into your room vs out of the chimney is less favorable). Your load.of fuel will last less long burning high because more of it is going into your room per hour and up your chimney per hour.

You get most heat per load (!) out of the stove when it's burning most efficiently. That is with the air turned down, as begreen points out.

But you get most heat per hour (!) out of the stove when burning high. That is less efficient (i.e. the ratio of BTUs into your room vs out of the chimney is less favorable). Your load.of fuel will last less long burning high because more of it is going into your room per hour and up your chimney per hour.
Thank you