I have a solution for burning not exactly dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPapiPE

Hearth Supporter
This is what has always worked for me when i only had less than perfectly dry fire wood to burn....some times it was bad too.. Choose your driest wood for next in line burning. In the meantime , but better before hand ...bring into a dry place 1 weeks worth of wood;and store it someplace in your house And in addition bring in another weeks worth of wood and store it in your basement, garage, den, porch or anywhere inside your house. Your woodstove without humidication will dry out the surface air to about 10% moisture content. Enough to give some people a bloody nose. OK, so are you following me so far? In other words keep a weeks supply next to your woodstove before you need it. I'm talking rotation ....the next wood to be racked next to your woodstove will be the stuff from the cellar, garage or where ever. The point being that the wood you put in the stove has had a good week to sit in an arid 10% warm environment. Nothing will dry wood faster than sitting it next to a woodstove with the surface air extremely dry.

Obviously, you have to have a good weeks supply of dry wood, to start, ready to burn before you start this cycle. I know I didn't explain this well, but the bottom line is always have a weeks supply drying in the presence of a wood stove before burning it.

i would pay for oil before I stored wood in my house much less too close to my stove.... besides the bugs, its more 'fuel' in the basement/garage/house in the event of a fire.
a few splits drying...as the next load in, is one thing. but not as storage.

Yes, following this procedure will just make you darn sure to get busy on next year's wood.

Come Nov. or Dec. we'll have lots of people bemoaning there less than seasoned wood and the problems it's causing in their stoves. The most common solution is just as Joe has described. Get it into the driest place possible. If I remember right someone posted a picture with a big stack of wood right in the living room. Even that surprised me, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've got to do.

BeGreen said:
If I remember right someone posted a picture with a big stack of wood right in the living room. Even that surprised me, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've got to do.

That was Corie. In an apartment. Also Brooktrout.

I had to do that this spring because I ran out of the seasoned wood. It seemed to help a little, but I would never leave the house with the wood that close. This also worked fairly well when the wood was wet. This year I am set with plenty of seasoned wood so I should have to do that again.

JPapiPE said:
This is what has always worked for me when i only had less than perfectly dry fire wood to burn....some times it was bad too.. Choose your driest wood for next in line burning. In the meantime , but better before hand ...bring into a dry place 1 weeks worth of wood;and store it someplace in your house And in addition bring in another weeks worth of wood and store it in your basement, garage, den, porch or anywhere inside your house. Your woodstove without humidication will dry out the surface air to about 10% moisture content. Enough to give some people a bloody nose. OK, so are you following me so far? In other words keep a weeks supply next to your woodstove before you need it. I'm talking rotation ....the next wood to be racked next to your woodstove will be the stuff from the cellar, garage or where ever. The point being that the wood you put in the stove has had a good week to sit in an arid 10% warm environment. Nothing will dry wood faster than sitting it next to a woodstove with the surface air extremely dry.

Obviously, you have to have a good weeks supply of dry wood, to start, ready to burn before you start this cycle. I know I didn't explain this well, but the bottom line is always have a weeks supply drying in the presence of a wood stove before burning it.

I like it.. you do what you gotta do. If I was hazard to guess, that you burn good hardwood, not that much of softwood, if any at all.-- i.e. less problems with bugs/critters. Grew up in a house that had 3 wood stoves, the wood boxes held usually a couple of days of wood. The right kind of high quality wood , stored properly, will have very little bug problems.

I put it in the bed with me so that the body heat dries it out. :coolsmirk:

I think bed bugs would be a bigger problem...

Last year for the first time I experienced 2 rows getting soaked, all you folks were really helpful, thanks again!
A fan on the wood brought in was suggested by a couple of the lads and it did make a difference, and I highly suggest that as well.
If you have never experienced two rows of soaked through, icicle encrusted woodpile, trust me, you bring that sh*t in the house.
I did it in small loads and also split them smaller.
I had such a system going and it worked, now I wish I had taken a picture, probably would of given some of you a chuckle.
Yet I do not plan on having a repeat there will be no photo opps, lol.

Do what you gotta do, plain & simple.

Well, some people put pots of water on their woodstoves to moisten the air... so why not get the moisture from firewood? Both in theory will consume heat from the room, but with the firewood you will get useful drier wood vs. an empty water pot.

Cmon, do you really think most folks have enough room for that much wood. I have a huge hearth and still go through 2 Hearth-fulls a week in burning season. Nice thought but unrealistic for most.

I think they would be better off with screwing a few pallets together in the garage to make a bin, filling it and then putting a fan blowing on it.

CTwoodburner said:
Cmon, do you really think most folks have enough room for that much wood. I have a huge hearth and still go through 2 Hearth-fulls a week in burning season. Nice thought but unrealistic for most.

I think they would be better off with screwing a few pallets together in the garage to make a bin, filling it and then putting a fan blowing on it.

Not everyone has a garage or basement either.

I hang sunlamps over my wood rack in the basement, helps dry them out while building up a good base tan. ;-)

mainemxz said:
I just load up the microwave and set it on high for 5 minutes. Dries it right out! Can also use a hair dryer, while time comsuming and boring it does push the moisure out.

Gonna hafta try the microwave idea one day. That would actually work really well if you had a big microwave...

Chris

JPapiPE said:

i've done it before as well as my father. both of us had good results. i keep some wood in the basement(off the floor and away from the wall) regardless of how seasoned it is. especially if its frozen together and covered with snow, that stuff don't seem to burn well. this year i bought a tanning bed for $15,000 and it cost a few hundred bux a month to operate but it seasons the wood good

In 10 years of burning wood i never had a problem with bugs getting into my house. I only bring in the clean pieces of splits. I did get a few splits with heart rot but I put those directly on the bottom of the pile as I had no pallets or other means to keep my wood off the ground. If you look at a split and it has no sign of insect infestation...you should be OK. The heart rotted pieces i do have, I bring them in just before burning them.... This method has worked for me for many years and i do scavenge, but that stuff is mostly softwood like pine, spruce, hem and fir and I treat these pieces as I do my heart rotted stuff, only bringing then in from the outside just before they go into the wood stove.

Tfin said:
I hang sunlamps over my wood rack in the basement, helps dry them out while building up a good base tan. ;-)
Got to like that idea Its a 2fer

smokinj said:
Tfin said:

Don't use too many of those lamps. Around here they catch urban pot growers by flying over with thermal imaging equipment. A friend bought a nice little house cheap that had been seized by the DEA. And he made a few bucks selling the fifty florescent fixtures from the basement that had grow light tubes in them.

BrotherBart said:
smokinj said:
Tfin said:

Don't use too many of those lamps. Around here they catch urban pot growers by flying over with thermal imaging equipment. A friend bought a nice little house cheap that had been seized by the DEA. And he made a few bucks selling the fifty florescent fixtures from the basement that had grow light tubes in them.
3ferlol

Redox said:
mainemxz said:
I just load up the microwave and set it on high for 5 minutes. Dries it right out! Can also use a hair dryer, while time comsuming and boring it does push the moisure out.

Gonna hafta try the microwave idea one day. That would actually work really well if you had a big microwave...

Chris

It can work a little too well. If the wood isn't rotating (and perhaps even if it is) you can get a hotspot that bursts into smoke/flame well before the wood is dry. Good luck getting that smell out of the kitchen. Don't ask how I know this... :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.