I lied...there are some pretty straight Cherry Trees in CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Over the last 7 years living here in CT, I've never split Cherry that was this sraight before....hardly any twist to it at all.
I was able to make some nice center cuts and half rounds (stacks really good.) This will be enjoyable to burn come winter 2010/2011.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• WB_Cherry_splits.jpg
    WB_Cherry_splits.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 331
milled one at my place last year for a friend it was 36 ft before the frist branch as stright as could be

That looks like what I call choke cherry. Grows on the edge of farmer fields usually pretty straight with a little lean to the open field. I cut 2 of them that were in the way and they were dry in 2 months!

That is Black Cherry, the largest cherry and the one with the hardest wood. We have lots of them here, and I have split many that had fairly straight grain and split really nicely. It is a nice wood to process, in my experience. Choke Cherry and similar cherries like fire cherry and the cherry grown for fruit don't seem to have wood quite like a black cherry, plus they don't seem to split as well, perhaps because the ones I have tried to split had lots of branches. Black Cherries will grow in the open, along fences, etc., and there they are as branchy as other cherries, but they also grow in the woods where they become tall and straight.

I have alot pf black cherry on my property. I cut a few down for this year. All of mine are straight as an arrow, 14-18" in diameter and 30-50 feet tall.

Nothing better that that feeling of picking up a nice 20" long round of black cherry and popping it in half on the first strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.