I love a great deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
Rutland Safe Lite Starter Squares 144 pack for only $4.98/box. Buy 10 boxes or more and get them shipped to your door for free.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland-...EC-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-202246825-_-202218153-_-N

That's less than 3 1/2 cents per starter. A real no-brainer! Yeah, years ago I thought fire starters were a silly waste of money because I know how to build a good fire just fine using only wood. But when I saw how much time I saved not having to place the kindling just right, not to mention how much time it took to collect and prepare all that kindling, I became a believer. Now I just put two or three well seasoned hardwood branches about an inch in diameter under the main load along with two starter squares about 8" apart and she lights off like a bat outta hell with no fuss. I also use them to light off my Big Green Egg. M-m-M-m-mmmmmm good!

I thought the price was a typo but I bought 10 boxes before Christmas and they were delivered right to my door for free and Home Depot hasn't pulled the offer yet. Get 'em while they last! A box of 10 weighs around 70 lbs.

This is an incredible deal... I just finished up a box of these that lasted me 2.5 seasons. Now I have to decide on whether I need 70 lbs of these things laying around for the next 20 years. Thanks!

This is an incredible deal... I just finished up a box of these that lasted me 2.5 seasons. Now I have to decide on whether I need 70 lbs of these things laying around for the next 20 years. Thanks!

You do. Trust me.:cool:

They never go down in value and they last forever. Man will always need/want fire. I'm always surprised at how many cartridges my neighbors have. I figure a few hundred rounds ought to get me through the worst "chit hits the fan" situation but even friends without much surplus capital have invested thousands of dollars in ammunition. This is a much more rational investment because fire starters help you conserve your wood supply by getting the stove up to efficient combustion temperature a little more quickly. Another way they save your own time and energy is by reducing the need to put up as much kindling. And they are very compact and easy to store.

Thank you, great tip. Ordered and will P.U. at HD in a week or so. Good deal.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Thanks for the heads up! Got some on the way!

Glad to see so many members taking advantage of this. At less than $5/box, these make great gifts for your wood burning fiends.

For the record, I have no connection to Rutland except as a satisfied customer and no connection to Home Depot except as a slightly disgruntled customer (until my recent awesome experience).

Just a heads up - These things are now the same exact price on Amazon. I had checked when you initially posted the deal and they were nearly $22/box.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Just a heads up - These things are now the same exact price on Amazon. I had checked when you initially posted the deal and they were nearly $22/box.

That's incredible! From over $21/box to under $5! I'm a prime member and get free shipping. Do non-prime members get free shipping as well? I don't see how this can last long. If you know how much it costs to package and ship a 7lb. box then you'll agree.

That's incredible! From over $21/box to under $5! I'm a prime member and get free shipping. Do non-prime members get free shipping as well? I don't see how this can last long. If you know how much it costs to package and ship a 7lb. box then you'll agree.

Similar to Home Depot - Spend $50 and it ships free.

Alert! The Home Depot offer has now been re-priced (from $4.98 to $22.05!). The Amazon offer is still good but no telling how long it'll last so get 'em while the gettin's good!

I'm tellin' ya, it doesn't get any better than this!

Alert! The Home Depot offer has now been re-priced (from $4.98 to $22.05!). The Amazon offer is still good but no telling how long it'll last so get 'em while the gettin's good!

I'm tellin' ya, it doesn't get any better than this!
Looks like Amazon is back in the $22 range. The only Rutland starters in the $4-range were the 24-pack. :(

My firestarters cost $4.98 less than $4.98. I believe that's better. :)

I used to think like that too. But now I realize at under 3 1/2 cents each, it's false economy to make my own. I have less ash waste, less time dinking around and faster, more efficient starts.

Since you like free things, here's a short poem for you, no charge:

Time is money
and at 3 1/2 cents each
I can't compete.

You don't like it?
What do you expect for nothing? >>

Looks like Amazon is back in the $22 range. The only Rutland starters in the $4-range were the 24-pack. :(

That's sad!

Well, congrats on all who were able to score while the gettin' was good!

My firestarters cost $4.98 less than $4.98. I believe that's better. :)
I'm with you. Splitter trash is free, really no extra time or money spent here. Dryer lint, also free, stored in an old coffee can until needed

I have been use them for a few years now. Actually I'm just about out of the box I bought 2 years ago. I thought it was around $10 then.

When free and easy's just no good
Perhaps your life is too intense
And perhaps I'm poorer for it
But I'm keepin' my three cents.

aff6859f8c808419719667491a120046.jpg

I'm with you. Splitter trash is free, really no extra time or money spent here. Dryer lint, also free, stored in an old coffee can until needed

Something doesn't compute.

You use a 27 ton Troy Bilt hydraulic ram with a powerful 208cc OHV gas engine to simply split your firewood but, when it comes time to burn it, you are opposed to using a little 3 1/2 cent fire starter that would get it burning faster than a weeks worth of lint scavenged from a dryer?

:rolleyes:

When free and easy's just no good
Perhaps your life is too intense
And perhaps I'm poorer for it
But I'm keepin' my three cents.

I like it!

A wise man once said "A penny saved is a penny earned".

Conversely, another wise man coined the phrase "penny wise but pound foolish".

Something doesn't compute.

You use a 27 ton Troy Bilt hydraulic ram with a powerful 208cc OHV gas engine to simply split your firewood but, when it comes time to burn it, you are opposed to using a little 3 1/2 cent fire starter that would get it burning faster than a weeks worth of lint scavenged from a dryer?

:rolleyes:
Yup. Are you judging me? Why would I spend money to start a fire when I have stuff that I can use without spending anything? This time of year I'm burning 24/7 anyway so your point is a non factor
Edit: I'm not "opposed" to it per say. Buying fire starters just isn't something I feel the need to do

Yup. Are you judging me? Why would I spend money to start a fire when I have stuff that I can use without spending anything? This time of year I'm burning 24/7 anyway so your point is a non factor
Edit: I'm not "opposed" to it per say. Buying fire starters just isn't something I feel the need to do

Nope, not judging, just trying to figure out the logic of using dryer lint to start a fire. But, you're right, if you burn 24/7 you have no need for fire starter of any kind.

A wise man once said, "He who burn 24/7 have no need for fire starter".

Reactions: Tar12 and D8Chumley
Man us canucks never get deals like that... although I did get bio Bio bricks for 1.62$ per pack of 12 today :)(24lbs)

Last edited:
I bought 4 boxes and they arrived yesterday.I bought them not so much for me but for my wife..lol Bless her heart she struggles to start a fire.These should last a very long time as I try to burn 24/7 but there are days I let the fire burn out as its just simply to warm.