I love free, dry Oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Neighbor had an old barn which was on a lot he sold. The guy that bought it wants to build a house, so had the barn taken down. I grabbed a bunch of Oak beams, which I'll split for my SILs. This wood will almost get me there for supplying them this year. MC is 14%. >>
20190612_191925.jpg

Last edited:
Your Killing me those beams are worth
a lot more the way they are . Not fire wood
As a wood worker we pay a lot for reclaimed wood
Re saw into boards makes Fantastic tables and cabinets

Reactions: begreen and bfitz3
Yeah, I knew the barn was coming down, and figured the beams were already spoken for. I could probably have gotten a lot more..there was also a tack house the frame of which was beams. They were like 2' high and maybe 8" wide, I can't remember the exact dimensions. They went to the landfill. I had for years thought that if I could have de-constructed it and brought it over here, it would have made a great garage. The demo guy said they had a lot of insect damage, though..not sure they were Oak.

The demo guy mentioned that people make furniture out of beams..

But I'm supplying four households with wood, and I was hurting for dry wood so firewood it is.

OK, change of plans. My SIL told me I can get huge money for them, but I don't know..this is southern IN, where everything is cheap and there are probably a lot of beams floating around. If they were worth all that much, you'd think the demo guy would know that and would have grabbed them for himself. I'll get the rest of the beams over here, then ask the guy up the road, a wood-worker who makes live-edge tables and has a custom mill, what he will give me for them. If it's an offer I can't refuse, I'll find some other dry wood out there to supply the in-laws..there are several dead White Ash I can get. If I can't get anything dry in time, I'll give them some of my stash to tide them over.
20190616_155037.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that pile of firewood contains the best beam of the lot..20+ feet long, 10x10" or so. A lot of the long beams got broken where they were mortised. :(

Last edited:
Some of those must have been roof beams..they have nails and tar.

The split wood has the same smell as when I've split White Oak rounds that have sat around for a couple years. Would Red Oak also have a similar smell when splitting old wood like this, or can I assume the beams are White Oak?

If they really are oak, and, hand hewn, then it's like they say, they aint makin em anymore.
You can get new ones, 2-500 and up.
https://www.kmhardwoods.com/log-fireplace-mantels/inventory-results.cfm
With a nice draw knife finish too.
Cordwood price for 10" x 10" x 20ft would be $25
A hand hewn solid oak 20ft beam?
Showing due diligence in finding a proper home for these is the right thing to do.
If they are junk, then in the stove. Otherwise, no.

If they are junk, then in the stove. Otherwise, no.
I've been reading up a bit. Nails, checking, insect damage and rot all detract from the value. The roof was caving in on one end of the barn. There is also what I think is oil on a couple of them..maybe they were floor beams? A tractor was parked in there at times. Or maybe hydraulic oil leaking from the backhoe? I saw some grapple mark as well. I'll have to see what I've got when I separate them and have a look.

Last edited:
Cordwood price for 10" x 10" x 20ft would be $25
A hand hewn solid oak 20ft beam?
From what I've seen, could be 25 or 30 bucks a linear foot for one in good shape. There were some $700 8' beams I saw, but they included free shipping.

Last edited:
There is an oak mantel back home above the fireplace - 8x8x8ft. Barn beam from 100yrs ago, percherons on one side, bull pen on the other, tack hanging from a hook, hand forged bull ring, and 1900's pictures to prove it all. Don't think a price could be put on it.
On the other hand, there are beams and rafters in some of the sheds I wouldn't give a nickel for - broken and cracked, whitewashed and oil stains, weathered and decayed. Check it out, hope you have something there.