I messed myself!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I talked with the two HVAC contractors in Moscow, ID today. One said they were booked up on bidding until mid to late October with installs booked until some time in December or January.

The other one said they were booked on bids for weeks, but that they could send someone next week to take pictures of the work site for the bidder. They too were booked for installs until well into winter.

So far, of the two bids I have the American Standard 16 SEER looks like the best equipment, but the RUDD guy was more, "Can Do!". I have a 4' crawl space with a concrete floor that I would like to put the air handler in. American Standard guy said no, RUDD guy say no problem.

The Moscow contractors were Trane and Lennox.

A 4' crawl space means a horizontal air handler. That means a ceiling hung or horizontal air handler. The A/S Silver line air-handler model is TEM8A0C36 I think. Trane is good stuff if that person will bid. Also get a quote from the Daikin dealer. Which is closer to you, Moscow or Cour d'Alene?

Do you know why the installer objected? Is the crawlspace a sealed and insulated space or open vented to outdoors?

Last edited:
A 4' crawl space means a horizontal air handler. That means a ceiling hung or horizontal air handler. The A/S Silver line air-handler model is TEM8A0C36 I think. Trane is good stuff if that person will bid. Also get a quote from the Daikin dealer. Which is closer to you, Moscow or Cour d'Alene?

Do you know why the installer objected? Is the crawlspace a sealed and insulated space or open vented to outdoors?
The Trane guy will not bid until mid to late Oct. Moscow is about 85 miles closer than CDA. I am SE of Moscow.

I asked why the A/S guy objected, and he basically just grunted. The crawlspace is conditioned. The RUUD guy was going to hang it.

I have just about settled on the American Standard. I'll just tell the guy it goes horizontal or it does not go.This was my plan from the start. It is why I poured the crawlspace floor. If the handler is not hung, the duct work will take up my entry into the crawlspace and I will have to cut a hole in a closet floor.

Reactions: sloeffle
Our A/S air handler is in a conditioned crawlspace with a deeper utility well. It works nicely, albeit in a milder climate.

Have you tried Unlimited Heating from Pullman? Sears?

Unlimited Heating shows up in Potlatch ID on Facebook but no website. There are a couple of outfits in Pullman, one is RUUD, I will try calling the other one tomorrow. I believe Costco is Lennox. Thanks!

They're in Pullman. (509) 332-8659

They're in Pullman. (509) 332-8659
I see that, but no web page so I will have to call them in the morning to see which brand they carry. They may be the same outfit with the Potlatch FB page. The two towns are closer than one would guess by mapping them. There is a dirt road that cuts the diffference in almost in half.

30 years ago I knew the Hilliards in Pullman. McCoy in Moscow was scheduled to work at my Moscow place about 1995. I was putting in a BK gas insert and they were to do the pipe work. They did not show up on job day, and when I called them they told me to find someone else as they had found a more profitable job. Powell in Moscow put a gas furnace in for me around 1985, but they only do plumbing now.

Guardian in Clarkston was our HVAC company for the business I manage in Lewiston. I could not get them to do a service call when the furnace died during the coldest part of the winter 3 years ago. The Amercan Standard HVAC company has been doing our service work since then.

Unlimited Heating is in Potlatch with a warehouse in Pullman. They are a RUUD dealer. When I called I was told they were too busy, but that they also hated to pass up an opportunity to bid. So, they are going to bid next week. I will ask them to bid the same work as the other RUUD dealer and see what they have to say about horizontal. I'll also ask them to bid a SEER 16 upgrade.