I might have a tip on getting heat upstairs???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim5b

Jun 22, 2008
northern MA
I tried a fan blowing up and down the stairs and didnt have much luck. I read a lot of threads and decided to turn the heat on upstairs until it was equal to the downstairs. (I thought the cold air upstairs was blocking the heat from rising) I had a 6 degree temp difference before and now it is 2 or 3 degrees. It has only been 2 days so Im not sure if it will really work. Has anyone else tried this?

I dunno. Heat rises, and cold air is replaced by the heat rising, in a continuous cycle. I do know that once the space is heated, it is easier for a stove to keep it warmer. What i mean is, My stove has a hard time getting the house up to temperature if I let it go out, and then crank away on a higher setting. It works much more effectively to leave it on low all the time.

You can make a difference with fans or should I say I was able to make about a 3 or so degree increase using 2 fans. I have an older house (1876), the main stairs go to a landing and split off in two directions. I guessed at what I thought was the area of natural warm/cold air flow. Took 2 fans and assisted the process. It worked but was annoying with the fans. I got an electric blanket. It gets down to about 61 upstairs. Downstairs is 71+. I'm heating about 2100 sq ft, 2 stories, 10 ft ceilings using a Thelin Parlour. I am very pleased so far.

I find the same problem the fan may help but I put the heat on upstairs for approx a 1/2 hour this takes out the cold spots upstairs and evens out the house. I used to burn 6-8 gals of oil a day before I got the stove now by turning the heat on for that 1/2 hour and probably burning 1/2 gal of oil per day.I have a split level, stove is dowstairs on the slab 3 steps up to liv rm dinning rm and kitchen, bedrooms over fam room.I am finding that to get the middle level to 67 I have to get the fam room to almost 75 but the bedrooms are really cold. I am with you on turning on the heat I thought about a delonghi oil filled elec radiator but that might be more expesive than oil right now. I converted my hot water back to elec so I actually turn off the furnance and should get thro winter on 1/2 a tank of oil. I do blow the cold air into the family room I am not sure if it really works , logically I think I am displacing warm air for cold.This is my second year on pellets
I am sure we will find interesting new ideas with all the newbies on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.