I need 20lb Bags of Hardwood Pellets in CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barker

Oct 26, 2015
Ct
Hi,
I'm Barker and I'm new to this Forum. I'm also new to Pellet Stoves!
I purchased one, a Harmon double loader, but it hasn't been installed yet.
The problem is I have really bad RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and can't lift 40lbs.
However, the Dr told me that heating with wood would be one of the best things I could do for my bones!
I live on Damp, raw, cold Connecticut.
I can't get a wood stove because I have a 2 level home and I'd have to have a chimney put in on the 1st floor and was told it would have to go higher than the 2 ms story.
Wouldn't that look pretty?!
I'm trying to find a company that sells to the public and delivers 20lb bags a Ton at a time.
I have been hunting the Internet, but can't find anyone.
Does anyone know where I should be looking or who I should be calling?

Thanks so much!!
Barker

In CT, if you have oil primary heat, that would probably be cheaper, especially if you had to buy specially packaged pellets.

Not sure what type of heat matters for RA, but I'm not a doctor.

Reactions: Barker
Hi,
I'm Barker and I'm new to this Forum. I'm also new to Pellet Stoves!
I purchased one, a Harmon double loader, but it hasn't been installed yet.
The problem is I have really bad RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and can't lift 40lbs.
However, the Dr told me that heating with wood would be one of the best things I could do for my bones!
I live on Damp, raw, cold Connecticut.
I can't get a wood stove because I have a 2 level home and I'd have to have a chimney put in on the 1st floor and was told it would have to go higher than the 2 ms story.
Wouldn't that look pretty?!
I'm trying to find a company that sells to the public and delivers 20lb bags a Ton at a time.
I have been hunting the Internet, but can't find anyone.
Does anyone know where I should be looking or who I should be calling?

Thanks so much!!
Barker
I've never seen 20 lb. bags around here. You could dump half of a 40 lb. bag in to a coal hod or bucket without lifting the bag off the ground if you are able to have the pellets remain on the pallet where they are delivered (in the garage).

Last edited:
In CT, if you have oil primary heat, that would probably be cheaper, especially if you had to buy specially packaged pellets.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've got gas, hot water, baseboard heat and it was so expensive last year! The Dr said the dry heat would be good for me. I'm not sure why either. Places are advertising the 20lb bags as only $25.00 more a ton than the 40lb, but I just can't find them.
I'm not sure where else to try.
Thanks

Also look for pellets sold in bulk bags, say 1200 lbs at a time. Have it delivered and placed where you can get at it. Then all you would need to do is scoop it into a bucket. Allowing you to regulate how much you would like to carry.

Also look for pellets sold in bulk bags, say 1200 lbs at a time. Have it delivered and placed where you can get at it. Then all you would need to do is scoop it into a bucket. Allowing you to regulate how much you would like to carry.
I agree with STANG302, it would be easier this way and it may be cheaper because you are not paying for packaging...

Never heard of 20lb bags. I second the idea that bulk is your best bet, then fill buckets as needed. You could carry two 10lb buckets even easier on those bad RA days.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've got gas, hot water, baseboard heat and it was so expensive last year! The Dr said the dry heat would be good for me. I'm not sure why either. Places are advertising the 20lb bags as only $25.00 more a ton than the 40lb, but I just can't find them.
I'm not sure where else to try.
Thanks

heat itself is not dry. Its wet if your gas is not vented correctly. Relative humidity is based on Temp.

So I see this company has 20 lb bags and they seem to be in Greenfield, MA - maybe close enough to you? Their phone number is at the top of the page - can't hurt to call.

Energex is saying their 20 pounder is back. Although they are in PA, give them a call and see if they have a distributor near you.

Locking yourself in on one brand of pellet based on bag weight could be a problem if they don't burn well in your stove. The suggestions of moving them by the bucket will give you more fuel choices. You might look into is the vacuume transfer systems people have used for bulk storage.
You may be able to make something that has a couple 5 gallon buckets with sealable lids and a shop vac to provide the power.

And welcome to the site

I'm not sure if they can help, but Squire lumber in Monson mass is very much into stoves and pellets, they may be able to help you, they are on the Connecticut Mass. line.
good luck!

Do you have someone that can help you? I have heavy duty Rubbermaid container that I use and my kids will dump 4 40lb bags into at a time and I use a coal bucket to pour into my stove. Even in the coldest weather I think we may do that 2-3 x/week. This works for us because I have a pellet insert and the opening to pour into is small and I had a really hard time trying to just dump the 40 lb bag in.

I know warm front aka newp sells 20 pound bags, there is a place in Danbury called Mitchel fuel I just researched this it said they carry these, not sure if this is near you or not for delivery
www.nemitchell.com

Hello Everyone,

I can't Thank you enough for all of your suggestions!!
I've placed a few calls and sent emails so, I'm just waiting for responses.

You're an awesome, very knowledgeable group!!

Thank you again and Best Regards,
Judy

Reactions: bogieb
I agree with STANG302, it would be easier this way and it may be cheaper because you are not paying for packaging...

I tried getting bulk pellets delivered to my house. The cost is outrageous, it was going to cost me $300 to get one ton delivered loose. Even more if they had to go around the back of the house or into the house. I understand they have the cost of the truck and fuel, but they have no packaging costs. I just assumed buying more would be less, as in cost less.

Status
Not open for further replies.