Pellet stove vented thru old wood stove chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NowhereMan

Jan 21, 2019
California
I've had an Enviro Mini for many years, and have serviced most things on it, at one time or another. Currently, I'm redoing the roof, and I plan to reroute the 3" chimney on the pellet stove. My question is, how much clearance is required around the chimney where it passes thru the roof? I was told 2" of clearance by a local wood stove shop, but I can't seem to find such info on the Enviro website or any other reliable source online. I see some thru-wall thimbles, that seem to only have a 6" opening for a 3" pipe. Obviously, I don't want to create a fire hazard, but I would like to have a smaller hole in the roof, and to reduce heat loss.