I Need a Good, Reasonable Pair of Boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between Chippawa and Red wings are like the difference between Chevy and GMC. GMC is typically more expensive but is more plush or higher quality leather, speakers etc. I love my Chippawas

I have a pair of Georgia 8" work boots. They're fine. A decent middle of the road choice.

I also drive a Focus, which is a damn good car. Trouble-free for 8 years, comfortable, handles nice, good gas mileage. I was a honda/toyota loyalist before this one, but I've had to change my tune.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I'd love to buy Danner, but they're too much money for me now. I hold no special allegience to U.S.-made products. I just like to buy what's well-made. Many countries make really crappy boots and tools; some don't. I'd never buy an American car no matter what.

Does anyone else have Georgia boots?

It's one of the few areas in which American manufacturing still leads the way. If Japan or some other non-communist-bastard country made good boots I'd look hard at them. But every workboot I've ever seen is either Chinese or American. Eff China.

EDIT - not long ago ALL Danners were American made, now many (half or more) are made by the filthy Chi-Coms.

I've had good luck with these boots. I wear them 8+ hours a day. That's on concrete and asphalt. I also wear them for evening and weekends for outdoor work.

p040052sq04.jpg
Cabela's Roughneck S.A.W Boots

Some Redwings are not made here in Michigan, USA anymore either...they have the dreadful M.I.C. on the tag now. And I must admit, there laces are the absolute WORST! Granted that gaurantee them for life, but they still suck and aren't worth putting in the boot.

Redd, I resent the Communist system in China less than I resent the disregard for human rights and the occupation of Tibet. This is why I try not to buy things from China, as well as the quality issues. I can't say Capitalism has done a lot better, at least the way we've done it here.

Rowski, those Cabela's boots look good. I'm kiind of thinking among those, Georgia or Justin boots (which I think are U.S. made). Does anyone have a pair of Justins?

we get the deal on timberland boots because they rent hangar space for their company jet from us.

Are you looking for boots to use while cutting, or more for general doing everything?

If you are looking for chainsaw cutting, it is worth pointing out that while steel toes are a very good idea, OSHA does require (and IMHO it's a good idea even if OSHA doesn't apply to you) people using chainsaws professionally to wear chainsaw rated protective footgear. This type of boot has a steel toe, AND protective chainstop fabric (kevlar or equivalent) on the sides and top of the foot, and up the ankle.

According to some of the sources I've seen, the problem with just a plain steel toe is that a lot of the reported chainsaw foot hits are to the top and sides of the foot, not to the steel toe area, so the ST doesn't help much, and leather does little to slow a running chain... Bear in mind that while it looks fairly simple from the outside, the human foot is a VERY complex biomechanical unit, with lots of small bones, tendons and other tricky bits - it is easy to damage, and hard / expensive to fix in a way that doesn't cause permanent disability.

When I decided to get chainsaw boots, about the same time I started to get serious about cutting, I did a lot of searching. Chainsaw rated boots are hard to find. Labonville has some, and they are supposed to be pretty good, and aren't horribly expensive.

However what I ended up getting, and have been VERY happy with are the Matterhorn brand Chainsaw boots - claimed to be the only boots that are UL listed for chainsaw protection. More layers of kevlar than the Labonvilles, and taller, with the protection going all the way up the shaft, so you have more coverage. They are also made with a layer of Gore-tex under the leather so your feet don't get soaked if you have to stand in a puddle, but still can breathe (kind of - Gore-tex is better than 100% waterproof, but it isn't perfect...) They are seriously expensive, but are VERY well made - I'm tough on my boots, and don't maintain them the way I should :red: but these still look reasonably good, don't show more than cosmetic wear, and are absolutely the most comfortable footgear I've EVER owned, including shoes that were a fraction of the weight, and were purchased for comfort... I wear them helping a friend with his wood business, and for doing most any kind of work where I want something solid on my feet.

They are kind of big and clunky, not to surprising considering the amount of material in them - they feel a bit odd when driving, and make the toe shift on a motorcycle a definite challenge, but you get used to that. They are a bit warm, but not overly so, and it's amazing how well they work in the winter - first pair of steel toes that didn't make my toes feel like they were in a freezer after an hour or so.

If you care about such things (I don't) Matterhorn is made in the USA (Martinsburg, PA)

Highly reccommended...

I've also had reasonably good luck with Carolina boots, and Rocky.

Gooserider

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Redd, I resent the Communist system in China less than I resent the disregard for human rights and the occupation of Tibet. This is why I try not to buy things from China, as well as the quality issues. I can't say Capitalism has done a lot better, at least the way we've done it here.

Rowski, those Cabela's boots look good. I'm kiind of thinking among those, Georgia or Justin boots (which I think are U.S. made). Does anyone have a pair of Justins?

Yes you can. I don't see emmer effers flooding INTO China. Do you?

Mass. Wine Guy said:
rowerwet said:
we get the deal on timberland boots because they rent hangar space for their company jet from us.

Cool! Maybe I can send you some cash and you could buy some boots for me. I'm glad to hear at least one company still has a private jet.
Yeah, it is funny that the same crooked poiticians who make (made) a fuss about CEO's in corporate jets, fly around in them when WE are all paying for them (ever wonder how much it costs to fly barry around in his private 747 with the back up no more than 2 hrs away as well as his fleet of helicopters (17 new ones coming soon from italy), "amtrac" joe in his 757, or queen nancy and her G-4 (vc-20), or dingy harry (vc-20). while they tell us how bad it is for 3500 dollar/ hr (or more) CEO to fly private jets (actualy saves the company money) , they all do it and we foot the bill, I don't think it saves us any money to have them go that way or to demand the use of military bases instead of public airports (don't want the great unwashed to see thier tax dollars at work).
Unfortunatly due to all the hypocrites, corporate flying is down and all of us little guys are the ones hurt, less maintenance (mechanics), less fuel (everyone from the fuelers on the ramp, desk people, delivery truck drivers all facing lay offs and less hours)
parts people (less wear and tear=less overhauls at all the shops, less parts shipping (ups, fedex), less orders for new equipment). I don't see how throwing pilots, mechanics, fuelers, overhaulers, assemblyline workers, etc. out of a job is supposed to "save the economy".
AND how about the high priest of carbon flying around on his G-2 (algore), one of the biggest gas guzzling (due to it's age and size) corporate jets ( I gues his ego won't fit in a smaller jet or airliner), while we are all supposed to huddle in the dark and cold in our government mandated high rises to save the planet.

Gooserider, I agree wholeheartedly about the benefits of good chainsaw protective boots. I'd love to get a pair, but it is impossibl;e for me right now. So I'm looking for a well-made pair of leather boots with no steel toe. Madsen's has its own brand of logger's lug-sole boots that are starting to look attractive.

Been wearing steel toes for near 30 years .

Best , most comfortable I've worn are Work One.

Made in USA and wear real nice.

Not loggers but if you need a good all around pair these are worth a look

As a Ironworker in my other life, I'd gotten used to boots with even treads, no heels. I've used Red Wings for comfort and durability with 200 grams of thinsulate for fall and spring, wear the uninsulated redwings in the summer. Winter boots, now thats a different boot all together, depending on the weather or day, I'll swap back and forth with a pair of muck arctic's, or L.L. Bean insulated bean boots. Bought some irish setter boots made in China, I had to return them, my feet would not adjust. doing construction all day seems I can get several years from a pair. money is no object when it comes to comfortable feet if you wear them all day 365 days a year. sweetheat

Try www.bargainoutfiters.com They are not too hateful on prices. It is a risk to buy from internet without trying them on but go to a local store and try some on and see if www.bo.com has them. I ordered some Wolverine Durashocks from them for ~30.00 and loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.