I Need a Pick-up Truck...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The scrap yards around me give 300-500 doesn't matter if you pull it out the woods and haul it in. So a truck you can use for wood certainly will be around 2k and that will have issues. That being said I love an old beater truck more than the new stuff lol.

The scrap yards around me give 300-500 doesn't matter if you pull it out the woods and haul it in. So a truck you can use for wood certainly will be around 2k and that will have issues. That being said I love an old beater truck more than the new stuff lol.
Not anymore ,scrap is way down ,$100 if yur lucky for a old car or truck at the scrap yard around here. Just watch out for rust, but some from the 90s are suprisingly rust free.

I should have said part yards.. you're right though scrap is way down.

Not anymore ,scrap is way down ,$100 if yur lucky for a old car or truck at the scrap yard around here. Just watch out for rust, but some from the 90s are suprisingly rust free.
Yeah I just took my parts truck to the crap yard. Most of it was still there minus the axles and the transfer case and I got less than $100

That would have no effect on the electrical system- but leaving the hatch open with a bunch of lights on , on a marginal battery certainly would.

This is exactly what happened........I would bet big bucks on that!

depending on your year, be careful trailering any long distances with that compass, especially if you get a summer scrounge. Even a long summer vacation drive is dicey. The CVT is prone to overheating. I was doing 75 outside Atlanta, then had a tranny warning light. Couldn't get over. Found myself stranded for 40 minutes on the left shoulder with 80 mph traffic 2 feet from my kid's door. Not fun. Happened 3 more times on that trip.

As the helpful dealer pointed out upon my return, there is a blurb in the owners manual about this being a possibility. So we will not check and or change the fried fluid in the sealed tranny that you cannot service yourself. Have a nice day, sir.
2015 vehicle with 20K on it.

I also vote rust truck if it's in the finances. My s10 served me well at 22mpg

I would never tow anything with a CVT.

I used to have to tow loads with an automatic transmission sometimes in the military, and that was bad enough. (The deuces have a 10 speed stick and was a pleasure to drive, especially if you enjoyed upper body workouts in the parking lot. The 5 tons have an automatic that leaves you wondering whether you remembered to drain the water out of your trailer's brake lines!)

Stick with a stick for towing. Easier, better, safer.

Getting almost impossible to get a stick now days- lot of the new trucks its not even an option I haven't seen a new truck sticker lately but I will bet there is still and up charge for the auto even though no manual is available.

Had to get rid of my toyota tacoma partly cuz it was a stick and very hard to clutch (knees couldnt take it) but mostly cuz it was a poor quality vehicle that kept needing repairs. Got lousy MPG too for such a small truck that couldnt haul anything.

That is a cool project, sounds like a lot of welding.

Your profile says you're from central PA- there does not appear to be a $500 pickup truck shortage in that area! (Craigslist linky)

I know for my application, 'complete rust bucket' is perfectly OK as long as it goes and stops, and the axles and trailer hitch don't fall off. ;)

Well I took a couple pics today here she is after lots of hours of work not all that pretty I didnt spend allot of time on bodywork because it is just going to get dented up getting wood and hauling brick ect but it doesnt look bad
DSCF0358.JPG
DSCF0359.JPG

did you fab the dump box section or is it a kit?

did you fab the dump box section or is it a kit?
it was a dump mechanism off of a similar year ford t tag so it took some fabrication but not to much to make it work

P4010344.JPG
You can get good used pickups for less than $1000 these days. MY son just got a great 93 GM for $500 hes been using it every day for 2 months.
I bought my 1978 F150 five years ago for $1000 and I put another $800 since for window seals and engine gaskets. It was from the south so it had little rust. Best grand I ever spent on a truck! It's all original with the 300CI six and T18 granny gear tranny. Old trucks in good shape for little money can be found!

I bought my 1978 F150 five years ago for $1000 and I put another $800 since for window seals and engine gaskets. It was from the south so it had little rust. Best grand I ever spent on a truck! It's all original with the 300CI six and T18 granny gear tranny. Old trucks in good shape for little money can be found!
I have been looking for a good 78 cab to put on my truck. The problem is after I do that I probably wont drive it through brush anymore to get firewood.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I have been looking for a good 78 cab to put on my truck. The problem is after I do that I probably wont drive it through brush anymore to get firewood.
I've only hauled wood in my truck once. I live in a hardwood forest and the picking is so easy and close I use my ATV and it's Polar trailer to haul all of my wood... I use my truck mainly to haul my mowing trailer as that's what I do in the summers up here, I mow cabin yards.

I've only hauled wood in my truck once. I live in a hardwood forest and the picking is so easy and close I use my ATV and it's Polar trailer to haul all of my wood...
I live in town I usually dont go to far for wood but definitely to far for atv and trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.