I Need Help First Time Pot Belly Stove User

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 4, 2019
Helpppppp
Ok guys I have a us stove company 1869 caboose pot belly stove. Well its november here in WV and in the process of moving broke a leg off my stove have a fire mat underneath until I can get a new leg I ordered in would it be ok to use a cinderblock in its place? Got a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old in the house really need the stove asap

Ok guys I have a us stove company 1869 caboose pot belly stove. Well its november here in WV and in the process of moving broke a leg off my stove have a fire mat underneath until I can get a new leg I ordered in would it be ok to use a cinderblock in its place? Got a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old in the house really need the stove asap
How big is the mat? How much r-value does it have? How much clearance do you have from the stove? What chimney is it hooked to and how. Do you plan on burning wood in this stove or coal

Hope you plan on burning coal. That was what it was designed for (Chestnut size). That stove will take its air from underneath the grate. Will be a little difficult to control a wood fire.

I think I'd be looking for a stove on craigslist. If that fell over with a fire of any sort in it it could be a disaster. Especially if everybody is asleep at the time!

Reactions: bholler