I need help. How do I fit a 8" pipe through a standard flue in a fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KEVIN S

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
va
I bought a used BUCK STOVE model 80 with an 8" outlet and would like some info on the best way to fit the pipe through the flue in my existing masonry fireplace. Thanks, Julie.

Have the installer remove the draft plate hadware or cut it out to match the 8 inch diameter, install a blockoff plate with insulation on top.

KEVIN S said:
I bought a used BUCK STOVE model 80 with an 8" outlet and would like some info on the best way to fit the pipe through the flue in my existing masonry fireplace. Thanks, Julie.

Hmm, hard to say for sure since I don't know the Buck line very well, but it sounds like that stove may be old technology, pre-EPA. Most new technology stoves use a 6" outlet these days. Anyway, I would suggest a full liner, from the outlet of the stove all the way to the top of the chimney. Remove the damper, or torch the shelf, and install a good bock-off plate. This would be a routine install for me. Difficult for a DIY but not impossible. Also, is your fireplace and chimney built to proper safety codes? You may need to add insulation and supplement the hearth protection. Be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.