I need help with a 25-pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt. S

Jan 20, 2021
N.Cambria. Pa
Hi. I got a used 2008 25-pdvc and about 2 weeks ago my top auger stopped running and started putting smoke into the hopper. I bought a new motor and replaced it. Since then I cant get a good burn. I cleaned everything. Both of the vacuum tubes were brittle at the one end so I cut it off and put them back on. Cleaned out both motors. Now all it does is burn for about 20 minuets then it doesn't get any fuel and shuts off. My current settings are 5-3-2 and tops are 5 and 9. Please help. The wife is getting fed up with it

It probably needs a thorough cleaning. Download the manual and check the maintenance section for the proper procedure. Vacuum from the combustion blower is what creates the vacuum for the switches to close

I have been reading almost every forum I could and cleaned it out completely out. Unplugged the vacuum hole. Replaced the burn pot gasket and the combination fan gaskets cleaned both motors and still won't do much. I ran a diagnostic and its saying the temp is 88 or 89 when a temp sensor I have place right along with the one on the machine says its about 76. Could it be the heat sensor?
It probably needs a thorough cleaning. Download the manual and check the maintenance section for the proper procedure. Vacuum from the combustion blower is what creates the vacuum for the switches to close

you gotta get air through the stove first. I have never seen a temp sensor on a PDV or PDVC they use a thermister for a type of proof of fire and over temp safety.. how is your venting configured from stove to termination? what size pipe?

3in straight through the wall then a 90 with a cap at the top. The house is over 100 years old so I do not have the fresh air kit on it. I had it since the middle of November and it ran fine until the issue. 2 weeks ago

have you checked the vent for any obstructions? like critters/birds?

I just put everything in in November. And made sure to vacuum everything out 2 weeks ago. Nothing is in the vent. I even double checked it this afternoon as I was putting in the new. Combustion fan gaskets

If you can post a picture of the stove running on 1 heat and 5 fan. Bottom 3 set to 6 4 1

where did you get the new auger motor?

There is a lot of aftermarket Chinese motors that are advertised as 1rpm but are actually 1.2-1.5 rpm and they sell them cheap. And they are really messing up englander stoves. The timing on the pdv and pdvc are critical to a fault when it comes down to the rpm. The new combustion motor. Is it a 3000 rpm? Also there are some mod’s that can be done to improve the burn on the pdv &pdvc. Plugging the 2 large holes under the burn plate on each side of the burn pot. Redrillng the holes in the plate. There are quite a few threads on that , well worth the read.

Im sorry if the information I gave was misleading. The top auger motor was the only one I had to change out. And honestly I rechecked it a few days ago and it still works so its a spare motor right now. And the holes in the burn pot are open. I ment that the little vacuum hole to the right of the burn pot was cleaned out. I remember a lot of posts saying to run a paperclip into the hole to clean it out.

So your saying its got the original parts still in it and its just has a poor burn?

No. I did swap out the top auger but have the old one as a spare. But not it seems to burn the pellets to fast and when they are burn the auger doesn't seem to run anymore to feed the fire until it shuts down the machine

Ok then You dont have enough vacuum to close the switch. Or the switch is bad. Knowing the stove, i would lean more towards a spot in the stove that is still clogged up. The only really good way to clean them is the leaf blower trick. Give it a search on you tube.

Sounds like a bad vacuum switch, you can pull the wires and Conner them together temporarily to see if the stove works, be careful and unplug the stove when you do that, also make sure the wire clips do not touch the body of the stove
Also take a pic before u pull the wires and hose to make sure you get them back correctly. :)
Good luck

I had jumped both of the vac switches, double checked every wire and connection making sure every wire is correct. replaced the door gasket and still nothing has really changed. It burns. Gets hot then it stops getting fuel and shuts down. Its been cleaned out really good. Please dont mind the dirty glass.
20210124_154915.jpg
I'm still at a loss

How about the hopper lid switch or heat sensor?
You can jump out the hopper lid switch.

The hopper switch has been jumped since I received it. And the heat sensor or thermister is the only other thing I can figure other than the. Controls board but since it does run. Im guessing it can't be the board..

take the thermister off and clean any corrosion of it and the stove then see if it makes a diff.

the pic of the flame you posted what heat setting are you set to? thts a big fire is the stove overheating and shutting down ?

try 2-4-1 . honestly the 25PDVC &25PDV are notorious for acting up with the least amount of ash in behind the fire wall and combustion blower blades/chamber that's why we all tell folks to clean the chit out of them before trying to troubleshoot them. they have the weakest combustion evacuation of all the stoves I have owned (3pdvc's and 4pdv's)' and worked on. if you have cleand the vent pipe and pulled the combustion blower and cleaned it and the chamber , pulled the impingment plate and run a bottle brush down the heat exchanger then i would lean towards a weak combustion motor but lets see what 2-4-1 does