I need help!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I have no idea what I am doing. I just purchased a used Country Flame Wood Insert with a Blower and Catalytic combustor. It turns out it is from 1982. I talked to the guy I bought it from and tonight he told me that I can not put it in my fireplace, that it would "burn my house down." I am very confused because I went to a local fireplace shop tonight and they told me it "might" work, but they could not tell me one way or the other, nor could they recommend anything that would be better. Needless to say, I now have no idea what I have or if it will work.

I have a home that was made in 1984 and it has a wood burning fireplace that is not a masonry fireplace. It has a fireplace that has a taper up to the flue, which is 8" in diameter. The flue goes to the top of the house and the fireplace is built onto the side of the house. The dimensions of the fireplace will accomodate the insert, but for some reason I have been told it will not work. The exhaust vent on the insert is 14 inches long by 3 1/2 inches wide and it will need to go to a round 8 inch diameter flue.

I am so lost and don't understand why this will not work. Please help!!! How do I determine if it will or will not work. Thank you all from a newbie!

Claybe...

Can I install it in an open room and vent it straight outside?

What should I look for to install in the pre-fab fireplace? What brands, what kind?

craig is absolutely right! do not install a stove in a prefab fireplace that was not listed and approved for such an install. serious damage to your home could easily result and with the unit not being installed as it was listed your homeowners insurance would not be obligated to cover any damage which could occur. the fireplace may very well not be able to support the weight of the unit and the flue system for a ZC fireplace would not be rated for the stove. this is not somthing you should look to do.

as for what you can do you have found a great place to start. continue to ask questions and be open to the advice from the members remember we are willing to help but we want you to be safe in what you do.

claybe said:
Can I install it in an open room and vent it straight outside?

the unit is an insert it was not designed to be used in a freestanding application as it sits. conversion to a freestanding unit in order to satisfy its UL listing would have to be done with factory parts and in this case only if it was listed as a unit which in that case could be converted (which isnt likely) i do not believe you will be able to use that particular stove

What should I look for to install in the pre-fab fireplace? What brands, what kind?

there are a few brands that offer models which are certified and listed for use in some prefabs, hopefully some of our members will give examples (we at ESW do not currently offer any) i think VC had one but im not certain , i also think martin had one as well. but you must be sure your particular prefab is of the type the insert is listed for. its not as simple with a prefab as it is for a masonry fireplace unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.