I need shorter legs on a morso 2110

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi2u

Jan 12, 2009
Near St Louis MO
I'm preparing my masonary fireplace to install a woodstove, and am narrowing my search down to a couple of different stoves.
My favorite is the morso 2110, but the legs are too long.
I've called and spoke to the rep. at thier TN. location He says they have only the one length of leg available.
Some of the Jotul stoves have a "short leg" option.
I could easily cut the legs off, and machine them all to the same length, but part of the reason I like the morso so much is the "style", and it would be a shame disfigure such beautifull legs.
I could also set the stove completly out on the hearth, but I really wanted to set it most of the way into the fireplace.
Just scaleing the legs in the catalogue It looks like they are about 9.5 inches long. Any Ideas? anyone encountered and solved a similar problem.
The Jotul F100 Nordic QT is only 24 inches tall, and would easily fit, It just doesn't have the same look, and after inspecting both stoves, I feel like the fit, finish, and details are much better done on the morso.
thanks for any help you can give me.
Levi

Cutting the legs could give you clearance to combustible and insurance problems. It was certified with a certain length leg.

Keep looking, I'm sure you will find a stove with shorter legs that will look great!

Matt

Actually since it will be in a full masonry fireplace I'm not too much concerned about clearance.
I guess I could just make new shorter legs from scratch, and save the factory legs in case I were ever to sell the stove, or move it to a different location.d
Levi

Is there any wood under the masonry? Floor joists under masonry fireplaces have been known to cook from the constant heat.

Matt

Update on my 2110 leg quest.
I picked up my new 2110 stove this morning.
I'm truely amazed at the quality and precision that goes into making one of these stoves.
Anyway, I spent the spring rebuilding the top 2 feet of my chimney, and tuckpointing the rest.
I'm going to put in a heavy stainless liner, and hopefully It won't require any major maintenace for many years.
I re- researched all the stoves I was previously considering, I narrowed it down to either the 2110 morso, or a hearthstone homestead soapstone stove.
I just wasn't impressed with the overall assembly of the hearthstone. I'm not saying it was bad, but there were just some little details that didn't inspire confidence. also the family room where it's going is big enough that when I fire this thing up on really cold mornings I'm going to want some real heat, and I may not have the patience to wait for the soapstone to soak up heat.
Now that I've boored you with details, about the Legs...
My new search led me to some UK sites where I discovered that the 2110 is sold with 6 inch legs, and the 10 inch long legs that are shipped with the US model are an option that they pay an extra 130 pounds for if they want them in the UK. A morso dealer in Scotland will sell me a set of short legs for 66 pounds. anyway, armed with this information, and the part number of the 6inch legs, the dealer where I bought the stove says he will try to order the short legs for me.
It will look stunning sitting in the hearth of my existing fireplace.
I hope to give you a nice review of the stove in a few months when I get it installed, and burning.
Levi

Actually I haven't decided exactly where it's going to set
but I'm thinking half way out that way I can run
the liner straight down and use the rear flue exit hooked
into a cleanout.
That would give me 8 inches of hearth in front of the stove
and I would add something like a hearth rug to protect the
wood floor out beyond that.
Any advise on the best flue liner?
Thanks for your help

well, i would install it per spec and get the 16" in front, or extend the hearth with non combustibles like a slab of stone or tile. Rugs are not sufficient for hearth extension.

As far a liner's are concerned, i like the excel stainless rigid liner system. Im not the biggest fan of flex except in the damper area.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I would stick it out on the hearth, you will get better heat radiation and transfer into the room..

i agree.. setting anything other than an insert all the way into the fireplace is a great way to lose all the usefull radiant heat to your masonry work... stick it out and be proud! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.