I need some splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I am buying my first splitter and am wondering if I am getting a good deal. It is a homemade job with a 10 hp rebuilt Wisconsin super duty engine, electric ignition, 4" wide by 36" cylinder, 2 1/2" bore, It is on an 8" I beam and built onto a cut down house trailer axle. The pump is rather large, I don't have any info on what it came off of or flow rates, it has a filter between the pump and the 6 gallon tank. He is asking $400 and is willing to help me out with it if it needs repairs in the future. He is an older retired guy who likes to stay busy fixing and building things. I will be splitting mostly maple oak and some pine. I go through 4-5 cord a year and I have a VC resolute so all my sticks have to be 16" (lots of cuts and splits). This is probably more splitter than I will ever need but the price seems decent and I am a buy it once type of guy. Any input or things to look for would be helpful.

Thank you

Test Drive? Ask him if you can split some logs to try it out. I'm sure he would let ya. If it works and he's willing to help repair in the future if needed it sounds good. Pictures?

are you splitting wood or crushing stones. Sounds like a heavy duty splitter 6 gallons Hydro 2.5" bore is some serious components

IMHO seems like a good price, especially if he is willing to help with repairs in the future. My uncle rebuilt a splitter 2 yeas ago with similiar specs, and he put more than $400 into it. Any similar new splitter would be well over $1000.

How fast is the cycle time?Are any of the parts of the shelf for repairs?

The real performance will lie in the actual specs of the pump, RPM of the motor, etc. You say 4 x 36 cylinder with 2-1/2" bore...do you mean it has a 2-1/2" rod? A true 2-1/2" diameter cylinder won't give much force, but should move pretty fast.

For what you want it sounds like super over kill to me...you've got a monster splitter on a house trailer to chop up 16" lengths of pine and maple...arguably some of the easier woods to split. If you are happy with the price, performance, have a place to store it, and don't mind dragging that monster out every time you want to use it, I'd say go for it! But also know that something a lot smaller would probably work just as well in most situations.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.