I own a medium Glacier Bay from 1980 does anyone know how many BTUs this puts out I am changing to g

K1e4h7! Posted By K1e4h7!, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:17 PM

1. K1e4h7!

K1e4h7!
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 23, 2018
    Loc:
    Brockport ny
    I own a medium Glacier Bay wood stove from 1980 does anybody know how many BTUs the stove puts out. I have called and emailed everywhere I no longer have the manual I love it but I have to change the gas for ease the gas stove is the largest I can get and has 35,000 BTUs my house is 900 square feet

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. K1e4h7!

K1e4h7!
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 23, 2018
    Loc:
    Brockport ny
  5. coaly

coaly
    Fisher Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Loc:
    NE PA
    You can't compare BTU output of a gas appliance and a wood stove.
    The gas burner has a constant output due to the same pressure and fuel flow at any given adjustment.
    A wood stove radiates heat from each square inch of surface area. The temperature of the surface area varies by fuel load, air adjustment and chimney draft. (atmospheric conditions) BTU output wasn't used back then, instead it was an average square foot heating capacity. Using BTU ratings of wood stoves today is not the maximum output, it is what BTU output will be created by the same wood load at the same given air adjustment for comparison purposes only. It is not a real world output of what to expect the stove to do at full heat capacity as calculated with a gas appliance.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think you'll be fine if the place is well insulated.