I saw the coolest non electric blower-where can I find?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjp

Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
I was at a woodsman show in the adirondaks in NY and there was a vendor who was selling the coolest little gadget that sat atop a woodstove that was operated by heat and not electric. It was a blower. Since we dont have electric at our cottage, this would be great but I didnt get the guys card or product name since I hadnt bought the stove yet. Anyone know what Im talking about? thanks

ive seen a few of these. do they make a difference at all?

Bobby, some say they do. My wife had wanted one for a long time and one time I gave in and she sent for one. Nice idea for sure but it didn't move enough air to be worth anything. We used it for 2 or 3 days and sent it back for a refund. Still, some like them. I think BeGreen is one who does like his.

they do look more restricted. which is maybe why they caused a problem in the blaze king because there so air tight as it is. think i'll stick to the ceramic. woops i posted in the wrong section. haha.i thought this was about the steel cat.

Thats definitely the idea. Not quite what it looked like that I saw but similar. Know of any other brands? Im using it for a small 750 sf cottage with no electricity so it would help some getting it to the other room. Thanks

I have the Ecofan original.

It's fun to watch. I have a blower on my Lopi but I can tell it does move some air. You want to make sure it placed on the side of the stovetop.

sh4025.jpg

Here is owners manual.
http://www.ecofan.co.uk/ecofan-manual-wood-stove.pdf

Ecofans are temperature sensitive. The ecofan will not spin very hard if placed on top of a gas stove. They make a lower temp model for this application. Also, it will not spin as fast on stoves with trivet tops or convection tops due to the lower temp. That said, once our stovetop is up to 650, it spins at a nice clip, even on the trivet top. However, it ran much faster when directly on top of the F400 at the same temp.

The manufacturer is very specific about the application of each of the fans... Gas, Wood, etc. I tried one at my friends cabin and it was a good performance. I am a bit skeptical of the performance on our wood stove insert. They say it will work on an insert, but I wonder if there is enough cool air intake in comparison to a free standing wood stove with air all around.

BeGreen said:
Ecofans are temperature sensitive. The ecofan will not spin very hard if placed on top of a gas stove. They make a lower temp model for this application. Also, it will not spin as fast on stoves with trivet tops or convection tops due to the lower temp. That said, once our stovetop is up to 650, it spins at a nice clip, even on the trivet top. However, it ran much faster when directly on top of the F400 at the same temp.

I would almost use the fan as a thermometer when it was on the Intrepid. I knew if it was spinning at a good speed I didn't need to reload that little bastard.

Likewise. It's a great visual indicator of temperature.

I have one atop the stove and it does make a difference. I can stand at the stove and put my arms out wide and feel the difference in air temp behind the stove vs. in front. You wont ever feel air moving, but it will direct the radiation of the heat well. If mine stops working (like from a flood), I wouild buy another right away.

I've got one, and I think it helps. I use it on the warmer days when the electric blower is not needed. You can feel it moving the air if you stand in front of it.

Amish folks seem to think it's a good gadget. The folks at Eco Fan publish CFM ratings and at trade shows show a IR video of heat distribution before and after. So it seems to work.

I works, quietly and slowly at mixing the air. At full speed it is moving 100+cfm which is about the same as many blowers on medium speed. The blade are designed more to mix the air than push it out quickly. I did a subjective test with incense to see how quickly it could be detected on the opposite side of the house. This is far from scientific considering I was using our noses as test instruments. It seemed to cut the time in about half. In this area the temp is about 2 degrees warmer with the fan running than with it off. That said, it's a gentle circulator and not as effective as a blower directly mounted on the stove and blowing across the hottest sections.

Can one of you folks that has one of these take a quick measurement of the base plate of the fan? (I have an insert with a pretty small lip, so I am trying to figure out how much room you would need from Front to back)
Thanks.

daveswoodhauler said:
Can one of you folks that has one of these take a quick measurement of the base plate of the fan? (I have an insert with a pretty small lip, so I am trying to figure out how much room you would need from Front to back)
Thanks.

Just was speaking to Ruth (a cutie) from Caframo this weekend at a trade show. They have a new model which requires less energy to get the blade to rotate. The specs are here:

http://www.caframo.com/hearth/hearth_products_woodstove_ecofanairmax812.php

Good idea, though one should be very sure that the stove it is set on does not exceed 650F. Did they drop the model 802? That's too bad if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.