I seek forgivness from wood burning brethren.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe we've stumbled onto an new genre in the hillbilly world......how's "redtechs" sound for a genre describing us hillbillies on the computer, hmmm? ;lol

;lol Sounds like me.

Reactions: ScotO
My brother in law whose been burning wood for over 40 years and cuts firewood for a living told me my wood is going to rot before I get to use it, I have 11 cords so Im about three years ahead, some people will never get it no matter what.

You hit the nail on the head.Some people its like talking to a stump.

maybe we've stumbled onto an new genre in the hillbilly world......how's "redtechs" sound for a genre describing us hillbillies on the computer, hmmm? ;lol
Back when you could steal get direct TV via home programmed cards I met more than a few "redtechs" that had the market cornered

Common term around these parts is " hi tech redneck". As for me, I can use a "smart" phone & computer, but prefer a saw & wedges.

Had to laugh @ all my hi tech devices this morning after the time change. The Atomic wall clock was an hour ahead, & the "smart" phone was an hour behind. The clocks I set back myself before going to bed were all right on, go figure. A C

Maybe I am just to old and cynical but after years of telling people about the positives of burning dry wood and getting nowhere I just started to chalk it up to laziness. Building up an inventory of 6-24 cords of wood is plain old hard work for most people. It's a nasty sweat producing chore that breaks fingernails and backs. I think most of these people want wood to be like oil or gas. Some guy pulls up, delivers the fuel, your ready to go!

I know I have a convert when they say something like " must make you feel good and secure to have all that wood", or, " you must feel like you have accomplished something while they stare at the wood"....... To them kind I share an insight. " yup it does feel good, real good, to soak in a hot bath in a 70 degree house after spending a day cutting in late fall or winter....and knowing those damn Arabs ain't getting any of my money!" Cheers!

Standkingdead, your post is classic!

I too have stated laziness is one of the biggest reasons folks don't get ahead on their wood supply. Kind of like the fellow who just had something to eat and could not imagine going to a grocery store to buy something to eat the next day. I know many folks who have got caught with no wood supply. They cut only what they need. Then occasionally Mother Nature throws us a curve ball and the snow piles up. Hum.... Can't get to the woods. I even know one poor soul who one year could not get to his woods because of mud. For him, that one year was the teacher and now he has more wood put up than I do.

Reactions: Thistle

I too have stated laziness is one of the biggest reasons folks don't get ahead on their wood supply. Kind of like the fellow who just had something to eat and could not imagine going to a grocery store to buy something to eat the next day. I know many folks who have got caught with no wood supply. They cut only what they need. Then occasionally Mother Nature throws us a curve ball and the snow piles up. Hum.... Can't get to the woods. I even know one poor soul who one year could not get to his woods because of mud. For him, that one year was the teacher and now he has more wood put up than I do.

I use to be like that years ago.Remember one bad ice storm in early March back almost 25 yrs ago.Was almost out of wood,so Dad & I went to the neighbors 60 acres of timber to cut a couple loads (both spouses were still alive,we had permission to cut any dead/down we wanted off their property) one nasty Saturday morning.Horizontal rain/sleet,winds blowing about 40MPH,with 1/4" ice coating everything.

I slipped on those wet leaves & fell down at least 5 times before 10AM,even twisted my back a little.:mad: Luckily not while carrying/using the saws.Ended up with barely 1 load before I said "The HELL with this,let's go home,warm up & have some lunch!"

Never.Again. Though we did go back in a few days & finish up that one little area we were working at once the weather was dry.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I just don't get why some people think that c/s/s wood will rot out especially if it's off the ground.... Umm, does your house rot if it's kept dry? No, it dries out, until it reaches a point that it follows the humidity.

TS

One of my favorite things to do as I leave my toasty warm house in the morning on the way to work, is to glance back up to the chimney and see no smoke what so ever.

I suspect a lot of us do this . . . and get a special sense of satisfaction seeing no smoke. :)

I think most of us probably have neighbors like that. Seems like shoulder season = smoke season around here. My neighbor routinely asks if we've been burning - because, well, you really can hardly ever tell.

I can't be smug, though - there but for the grace of hearth.com go I.

Laziness and the "Burger King mentality". I'll have it NOW and MY WAY.
The 24 years I've jockeyed firewood I've yet to convince 1 customer to get 2 years ahead.

Kind of like the fellow who just had something to eat and could not imagine going to a grocery store to buy something to eat the next day

Dennis, this struck a chord with me. Bev and I have been working on my brother and SIL for over 5 years to get ahead on the firewood and stock up on food to avoid daily trips to the grocery store.
They've started.......but still don't quite have it down.
Evidently, it interferes with their laziness.>>
SIL goes to the store almost every day, even though I KNOW she's got extra food in the house. She can't seem to remember to pull out the frozen meat the day before needing it.
It still gets to my wife, but I pick my moments.......or not, depending on my mood.:p
They still joke that I've got 10 years worth of wood. I WISH!

Fireview, Ya know it takes all kinds. Some are willing to learn - others not. Some think smoke is supposed to come from chimney. I'd think people would be more concerned about chimney build up and fire in it. That's tangible danger.

I like the idea of handing her a few splits and letting her see the difference of good dry wood.............Then if she still gives you grief about the wood rotting after that, give her one more split....along side the head perhaps.
;lol that might turn her from the dark side.....and i might do the "along side the head" thing FIRST, just to get her attention while you explained it again.

cass

I guess always living in the country like I do you learn to work to plan ahead . . . going into "town" for groceries for us is an every 2-3 week affair with us picking up a few odds and ends from time to time at the local store. I kind of think of myself as "lazy" in only shopping for groceries this way . . . but when I'm looking at taking a big chunk of my day up traveling to and from and shopping for food I don't want to spend as little time doing it as possible.

What is funny for me is I know other folks -- even where I live -- who tell me that they shop weekly or even twice a week . . . and then the folks who tell me about shopping every day . . . just blows my mind. This also explains why I sometimes get funny looks from folks when I get up to the cash register with a cart piled high with food . . . I almost feel like apologizing and explaining that I'm not hoarding food for the zombie apocalypse . . . it's just the way I've always shopped.

Final thought . . . there are few things that are as comforting as a woodshed full of seasoned wood and a pantry full of food.

Final thought . . . there are few things that are as comforting as a woodshed full of seasoned wood and a pantry full of food.

You forgot the cooler full of beer ;)

You forgot the cooler full of beer ;)

True . . . if you're a beer drinker. I never learned to drink the stuff though . . . some day I'll grow up and drink beer and coffee. ;) :)

True . . . if you're a beer drinker. I never learned to drink the stuff though . . . some day I'll grow up and drink beer and coffee. ;) :)

. . . but not necessarily together at the same time. ;)

Or maybe mix it with Moxie.

I too have stated laziness is one of the biggest reasons folks don't get ahead on their wood supply.

One reason I wanted to get more than 3 years of wood put up is that I reckon I'm lazy and I'll burn less in the long run as I won't be using loads of wood just to boil sap...........
Which means that also means I'll c/s/s less too in the long run now I'm ahead.
Laziness is no good unless you plan ahead and do it properly.........;)

Reactions: Gark
Status
Not open for further replies.