I spent the afternoon on the roof yesterday...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I got tired of borrowing the chimney brush from my friend so I bought my own yesterday and things didn't
go as smooth as I hoped. I ran the brush down a number of times and it cleaned the areas near the top that
I can normally see pretty well, but then I went south to check where the thimble connects to the flue (I noticed
a small buildup of the shiny class 3 creosote in that area the day before when I pulled the pipe off to clean) and
this small area wasn't really coming clean. Up and down the ladder I went, scrubbing then checking the results
at the bottom - a couple of spots came clean but still dissapointed with the results.
The area I'm talking about is probably only a little over a square foot of buildup - not thick at all - right where
the thimble dumps into the flue. Exterior masonry lined chimney about 18' tall (I know, I know...).

Is this something to be concerned about even though the rest of the flue/pipes are now clean?
Will it build up fairly quick in that area? Does that ACS spray work?
I know - burn dry wood!! I've been burning 2 year old hardwood but it's dwindling and recently started mixing it in
with ash cut and split in Aug. and that is the majority of the wood I have left for the rest of the season... It burns
great but I am now a little stressed out that this could be the cause of the creosote and it's an area that I have to
move the stove and pull the pipe to see.
Will running a brush down the chimney every couple of weeks keep the flue in acceptable condition??

Thanks for any response, Rob

The experts can correct me if i'm wrong...

My thinking, from a fire fighter standpoint is if it's a small area that still has creasote built up, it should be O.K. given that the rest of the chimney and attatched parts are clean.

I would imagine, if that small area of creasote happened to catch fire, it would quickly burn itself out as it has no other fuel to burn. Not like a creasote filled chimney, where it has fuel all the way to the top...

You should be fine. Probably cleaning monthly wouldn't hurt though for the rest of the winter because of your fuel.

Thanks for the advice, any time I see something different I question if it's a safety concern, probably a bit too cautious but that's
the good thing about this forum - you guys can slap me into shape :cheese:

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.