I think I bought a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattman101

Feb 15, 2023
Ny
I purchased a stove on fb mkt place for $75 w 4' 6" triple wall pipe fore some heat in my shop I've never bought a stove before. after getting home and actually looking the baffle plate on inside is warped bad and cracked as is the insulation looking down into the stove thru flue, they sent me pictures of it burning just said didn't heat enough for their needs the baffle and insulation don't look replaceable check out pictures and let me know what you think, thanks

20230215_200751.jpg 20230215_200727.jpg 20230215_200706.jpg 20230215_200646.jpg

That looks like an old Haugh/CFM stove. Haugh got bought up by CFM and then this division was sold to SBI. Some of the models were continued but others were dropped. That makes finding manuals for this vintage circa 1990 and model hard.

The baffle is definitely shot but I am not sure if anyone has replacement parts.

Last edited:
That looks like an old Haugh/CFM stove. Haugh got bought up by CFM and then this division was sold to SBI. Some of the models were continued but others were dropped. That makes finding manuals for this vintage circa 1990 and model hard.

The baffle is definitely shot but I am not sure if anyone has replacement parts.
Thanks for the response, I just don't get why they would make the baffle and that vermiculite non replaceable, if I took all the vermiculite out and replaced it with a high temp ceramic blanket would that help? Like is that entire compartment filled with insulation? I have the material to do so or should I just cut my losses

I didn’t see anything that looked like vermiculite in the pics. If there is vermiculite, be careful, I’m sure you know about the possibility of asbestos.

That said, since it’s already in your possession, why not play with it.

Depending on what your shop is used for, solid fuel appliances can be dangerous with things like gas vapors.

I didn’t see anything that looked like vermiculite in the pics. If there is vermiculite, be careful, I’m sure you know about the possibility of asbestos.

That said, since it’s already in your possession, why not play with it.

Depending on what your shop is used for, solid fuel appliances can be dangerous with things like gas vapors.
I think the stove is from early 90s it was like a semi dence board in flue that got to much moisture and rotted out at flue exit along with a piece of sheet metal on top of insulation, I ended up removing insulation in pieces w mask of course and sheet metal, replaced the insulation w stuff we use at work called temp mat 1" and 1/4" layer of pyrogel 12x20 pieces through flue hole then was able to get a new piece of sheet metal through front to cover it all, I cleaned it up and painted it fired it up outside over weekend and it seemed to work great

20230217_195836.jpg