I think I'm more prepared this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Lot's of work this spring with a load of logs and a new wood shed. I've added about another stack and a half on the end of that. The end towards the driveway I filled with cookies and shorts from the logs, I'll work those into kindling soon.
GarageRoof2.jpg

Still have a bunch of shagbark hickory to split for next year. It seems a little buggy from the sawdust between the rounds. I'm going to stack it out side this fall and not move it into the shed until the spring
Firewood16.jpg

I hope I got it split soon enough for my finicky stove, I'm burning leftover from last year right now.

Real nice shed and storage area. Well done!

What is this about a "finicky stove?"

My old VC Vigilant would chew up about anything I threw at it, the new stove want's real dry wood or it won't burn at all. Not out of the norm for a newer stove but I wasn't prepared for it and every load I got last winter that was "seasoned" wasn't.

Yup, seasoned wood goes a long way to a nice burn, kind of like a good evening dinner.

So what is this new stove?

Sounds like more fun than a new wife!

That turned out really nice!

Bigcube said:
New stove is a Quadra-fire Cumberland Gap. Not sure I agree with "more fun than a new wife" though...

I meant as in getting to know her. Why the Quadra-fire Cumberland Gap seems like an excellent choice! I checked out their website.

It is a nice size, kinda like a VC Defiant with side door loading, but the other side. But, as you said it, really likes well seasoned wood. I guess all the latest stove combustion designs now rely on fuel to be at a low moisture level. My Encore NC is the same, as compared to my old early Defiant, a real smoke dragon, that would burn anything.

Enjoy your great new stove, as you get to know her better! And your good looking new woodshed addition too.

Your shed finished up sweet...the driveway access is great.

You do nice work. What did that garage expansion finally cost?

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I'll be pulling wood from the yard side, not the driveway side. My truck and enclosed car trailer gets parked on the pad. I had the roof done, late in the summer, I didn't have the time to do it. The roof was $4k but that was the whole garage, the small pad on the back of the garage was $1k. The lumber for the shed was around $6-700. The guys that put in the concrete sank the posts in the ground for free. I still need to side the peak but might just leave it for now since the whole garage needs to be sided soon anyway. Still need to put new gutters up.

BC, Why did you decide to put the 6x6's (?) in the ground and not on the slab?

The slab on the back is only a 4" pour. IMO It's much better to have the posts in the ground, they are over 42" down, well below the frost line. The big slab on the side is a 6" pour, my truck and trailer is a tank.

Looks good Bigcube.

Status
Not open for further replies.