I thought I would say hello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BandSawyer

Jan 27, 2009
NH
Hi Folks,
I am new here and thought I would say hello to everyone. I have been reading here for a few weeks and thought I would join. I have found the information quite useful.

We have a VC Defiant Encore 2550 heating an 1800 sq ft Cape house here in NH. We have used it for 12 years and we have been happy with it. So far all we have had to replace was the combuster. Given some of what I have read I feel we have been fortunate.

When I last cleaned out the combuster The asbestos refractory access panel (part no. 160-2511) broke into 2 pieces. I was expecting it as it was getting quite fragile. I was able to place the 2 pieces in and we are still using it. Anyway I went to buy a new one and the store tried order one in saying it would cost $27. After a month they got back to me saying VC discontinued it and to get one you need to buy the entire refractory at $265. I have been trying to find just the access panel but have had no luck.

Hearing of the situation at VC my wife and I are quite upset because we bought the Defiant figuring the VC would always be there. Now we are not quite sure what to do.

In addition we recently built a workshop for my woodworking and we are planning to put a stove in there to heat it while working out there so now we are thinking maybe we should put Defiant in the workshop. We are thinking about taking a ride to Lebanon to look at the Woodstock stoves on Saturday. The problem is I am not sure I want to spend money on another stove. Anyone have any thoughts?

Can't help on too many specifics but here's one that might help: http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/254355/products/160--2511-Refractory-Panel.html

Is that your part?

As for a Woodstock - highly recommended. I love my Hearthstone, too. If you have been happy w/ your Defiant and is has no real problems, I'd say keep it in the house - why spend the money to fix a problem that doesn't exist? if anything, try to find another same/similar stove for your shop. But I wouldn't necessarily go break up the team if you have a winning record...

Good luck and welcome to the Hearth!

I had that stove and it was really a great unit. I'd say you'd be wise to get the part while you can; that part is a whole lot cheaper than a new stove. And, if you get another 20 years from it you'll be happy; even if you do get a new stove and put that one in the shop.

We have an antique stove in the shop. You can get pot belly stoves around at a good price and if you keep them burning hot enough they add a lot of atmosphere.

Woodstock and Hearthstone stoves are great, you would be happy with either. Also, PE stoves are very nice, the Aldera series offers a similar look to a VC while giving you a great secondary burn system.

Hope you find a solution and keep burning happily.

Ed,
Ya that is the part. I spoke to them on the phone and it did not sound like they could get the part. I think I will try them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.