I want to insulate the top of my insert. Why not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have Large Flush Hybrid FPX insert. I used double insulated ss liner .I've stuffed masonry flue opening with Roxul ,thinking it would be enough. Also I've insulated walls of fireplace with roxul and some leftovers from liner insulation. The only part not insulated is the top of the fireplace. And there is no block off plate. I've learned it was a big mistake.
I plan on installing it, but after this season. I need to move stove ,liner etc, too big of a project.
Meanwhile I feel like I'm loosing some heat to bricks above insert. This is internal chimney, but it's a ranch.
I checked the blocks surrounding chimney with IR therm in a attic and it registered 75F. And this is not in immediate proximity to the flue, there is two more flues coming from basement fireplace and furnace.

My idea is to put insulation that left from ss liner on a top of the insert, so it's gonna radiate less heat to the upper part of masonry firebox . .May be even improve stove performance . So far I control fire well. The temp on a lower plate of a chamber where air passing is around 500. One time it was around 700, but it was crazy load of bio bricks.

I don't see a reason why i shouldn't try it for couple fires watching closely. The insulation I wanna use is ss liner rated, with reflective foil on it. It's a leftover from liner install.

What do you think?

It sounds to me like these bricks you want to insulate are exposed to air in the room. If so, any heat that goes into those bricks will be radiated slowly back into the room. The bricks are acting as a heat bank.

Agreed. It sounds like you've done plenty already for an interior chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.